Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrettin

MSVC2017 Support?

Recommended Posts

Is there any particular reason why only MSVC2015 is supported in "update-workspaces.bat", but not MSVC2017?

The latest alpha release of premake5 (which is used to generate the projects) does not support MSVC2019, so I understand why that is not supported, but the latest alpha of premake5 does support MSVC2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Andrettin said:

Is there any particular reason why only MSVC2015 is supported in "update-workspaces.bat", but not MSVC2017?

The latest alpha release of premake5 (which is used to generate the projects) does not support MSVC2019, so I understand why that is not supported, but the latest alpha of premake5 does support MSVC2017.

To make it work with VS2017 one has probably to rebuild all the libs for it (the lib. In the libraries folder) (Might also not work with SpiderMonkey) why do you ask?

It could be tried without though since there hasn't been a big change of ABI. I personally use VS2019 with the VS2015 toolset.

I also tried meson build but so far have failed to get a working windows build with ninja. It reportedly work with linux though.

Would that be something you'd like to look into?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Stan` said:

To make it work with VS2017 one has probably to rebuild all the libs for it (the lib. In the libraries folder) (Might also not work with SpiderMonkey) why do you ask?

It could be tried without though since there hasn't been a big change of ABI. I personally use VS2019 with the VS2015 toolset.

I also tried meson build but so far have failed to get a working windows build with ninja. It reportedly work with linux though.

Would that be something you'd like to look into?

 

I was trying to build the engine, and I managed to do it like you did (using the 2015 toolchain with VS2019), but since VS2017 has been out for a while I wondered why it wasn't an option. Thanks for the info!

I looked into it, and I got it to work mostly, except that there are unresolved symbols from SpiderMonkey. I guess rebuilding it with VS2017 would fix the issue, though of course that would also take some effort.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Andrettin said:

I looked into it, and I got it to work mostly, except that there are unresolved symbols from SpiderMonkey. I guess rebuilding it with VS2017 would fix the issue, though of course that would also take some effort.

Indeed. I have not successfully managed to build Spidermonkey myself sadly. There are instructions on how to do so here though: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildingWindowsDependencies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Indeed. I have not successfully managed to build Spidermonkey myself sadly. There are instructions on how to do so here though: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/BuildingWindowsDependencies

Thanks! I had seen the instructions in the repo, but I haven't got past trying to build NSPR (the "configure" step fails, even with the patch listed in the readme). I've also got some other unrelated errors in the compilation of Pyrogenesis (related to the core CRT).

What is SpiderMonkey used for, by the way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andrettin Spidermonkey is used by the Pyrogenesis engine to understand the Javascript code we use for map generation gui and simulation and AI. Usually it would be done in LUA but the founders chose Js instead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are lagging behind SpiderMonkey and the version we use (SpiderMonkey 45) did not support VS2017, as it was released in 2016. (Actually, the code is probably buildable with VS2017, thanks to backwards compatibility, but Mozilla's build system from 2016, needed to build version 45, did not know how to use VS2017 tools)

Upgrading SM is one of my highest priorities, but it's a lot of work. From SM52 on, VS 2017 will be supported and we'll enable support for it. (and maybe 2019 will work too, since Mozilla's build system hasn't changed significantly between 2017 and now) :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stan` said:

@Andrettin Spidermonkey is used by the Pyrogenesis engine to understand the Javascript code we use for map generation gui and simulation and AI. Usually it would be done in LUA but the founders chose Js instead.

 

4 hours ago, Itms said:

We are lagging behind SpiderMonkey and the version we use (SpiderMonkey 45) did not support VS2017, as it was released in 2016. (Actually, the code is probably buildable with VS2017, thanks to backwards compatibility, but Mozilla's build system from 2016, needed to build version 45, did not know how to use VS2017 tools)

Upgrading SM is one of my highest priorities, but it's a lot of work. From SM52 on, VS 2017 will be supported and we'll enable support for it. (and maybe 2019 will work too, since Mozilla's build system hasn't changed significantly between 2017 and now) :)

Thanks for the info!

I tried using the latest version of mozilla-build and NSPR, but to no avail: I still got the same error when building NSPR (I didn't even get to building SpiderMonkey itself). I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrettin said:

 

Thanks for the info!

I tried using the latest version of mozilla-build and NSPR, but to no avail: I still got the same error when building NSPR (I didn't even get to building SpiderMonkey itself). I'm clearly doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what...

 

Did you use mozilla build starting from a 32bit msvc command prompt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stan` said:

Did you use mozilla build starting from a 32bit msvc command prompt.

I just started "start-shell.bat", since the "start-shell-msvc2015.bat" described in the readme wasn't present. Doing as you say could well fix the issue. I've already deleted the files from my previous attempt, but when I try again I'll do that then.

Edited by Andrettin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrettin said:

I tried using the latest version of mozilla-build and NSPR, but to no avail

That is the issue: in order to build SM45, you need the mozilla-build from 2016 (and I also use NSPR from back then as a security, but it might work with current NSPR, never tried). The mozilla-build from 2016 will not allow you to build with VS2017, the only options will be VS2013 and VS2015.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...