Extending Visible Garrisonning

Stan`

Extending Visible Garrisonning  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should the units be automatically visible ?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes should the player be able to put them back in when they get hurt ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should visible units be replaced as soon as they are killed by another entity from the container ?

• Yes
    • No

A couple of thing to fix.

1. When select a visible garrisopn unit, the selection ring should be at his feet, not on the ground beneath the building. This is especially visible on gates, but affect all visible garrison building.

2. Double-click behavior. Sometime double-click work, but most of time it does not. Cannot double click all the same dudes on a fortress wall. :\

3. Visible Garrisoned unit should not add to the building's default arrow count. I mean the arrows that are counted from the <BuildingAI> element. Only dude inside the fortress add to the default arrows.

Okay, to simplify the behavior, the VisibleGarrison points should be stocked with units when on the act of garrisoning. This is what happen now. Any visible spots that become emptied by a death don't get restocked unless more soldiers of the right type are garrisoned.

You guys worry about micro, but as I have testing this stan's patches, there is so much going on that I do not worry about the micro. I just garrison my archers to get them to show up and they shoot. Meanwhile, I worry about flanking the enemy attacking force with another ground force of my own because I know my fortress will not last long anyway. If I see my archers on parapet dying, I garrison some more archer inside. The dudes already still inside add arrows to the default arrows, I don't worry about the micro too much at all. 

If you want to, you can show the individual slot in the UI, but we would need to UI redesign. Kind of like Ancient Wars: Sparta...

ships.jpg

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

3. Visible Garrisoned unit should not add to the building's default arrow count. I mean the arrows that are counted from the <BuildingAI> element. Only dude inside the fortress add to the default arrows.

That should not happen in my last patch, have you checked it ? It only did in the first one.

1. When select a visible garrisopn unit, the selection ring should be at his feet, not on the ground beneath the building. This is especially visible on gates, but affect all visible garrison building.

Sounds fair, looks like some CPP will be coming along...

2. Double-click behavior. Sometime double-click work, but most of time it does not. Cannot double click all the same dudes on a fortress wall. :

Maybe it's broken in the templates ?

9 hours ago, stanislas69 said:

That should not happen in my last patch, have you checked it ? It only did in the first one.

I uninstalled patch because it was deprecated by some official changes I think? Also, do you have a newer patch than 3 weeks old? I only see the one I was testing last week. If it works in your newest patch, then I stand corrected. I just noticed they added to default arrows in earlier patches. Good job fixing that!

Sounds fair, looks like some CPP will be coming along...

Yes, it have been problem ever since the units were added to walls some time ago. I have glad you agree.

2. Double-click behavior. Sometime double-click work, but most of time it does not. Cannot double click all the same dudes on a fortress wall. :

Maybe it's broken in the templates ?

I do not think so, but in what way can the template be broken that affect this double-click behavior? I can investigation.

BTW, in Trac ticket, I agree with @elexis:

Giving the player a choice whether to garrison units on buildings like fortresses and ships adds to the game experience, especially if it offers tactical advantages (f.e. shooting with a catapult instead of regular garrisoned arrows).
Micro-managing this should be optional and rewarding. Agree that units shouldn't automatically transfer from visible to hidden or vice versa.
Maybe we could have an alternative garrison key combo to fill the visible spots only if requested by the player.

I agree with whole comment. Last part I highlight because it is perfect. It is the perfect compromise solution to all opinions express in this thread. Kudos to elexis for coming up with it. Though, I would recommend a dedicated button*.

Side comment about garrison buttons. I think garrison buttons should go in the garrison panel of UI, like in all other AOE game, including this new button that would "restock" the empty parapet with fresh (ranged) garrisoned troops.

garrison_buttons.jpg

Okay, so you see the ungarrison button on left. Then numbers showing 6 soldiers out of 20 garrison slot. Then you see the "Reinforce Battlements" button. Click this to send more troop (of correct classes) from your inner garrison up to the battlement. The town bell icon is there to just show placement in case the building have town bell.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone