Just announced: Age of Empires Online

Jeru

Although we've just announced our own alpha version, these news still had to be shared: A new game in the Age of Empires series, "Age of Empires Online", has just been announced. They invite people to join their closed beta.

<blockquote>Marrying fresh features with classic RTS gameplay, Age of Empires Online pays tribute to the original game while incorporating a new look, feel, and approach that appeals to long-time fans, newcomers, and everyone in between. [...] There is no offline play. [...]

Q: Why the new look? What was wrong with the graphics before? It looks more “cartoony” now.

A: Age of Empires includes a refreshed art style with an unprecedented level of detail. The new design is fun and approachable, and we believe it will help invite a brand-new audience to experience this classic franchise. It will still offer gameplay depth for fans of the franchise as well.

Q: The “Age” franchise has an incredibly loyal fan base. Do you think this new iteration will alienate any of your fans?

A: Absolutely not. Age of Empires Online stays true to its roots with traditional RTS gameplay, a deep player-versus-player mode and detailed historical settings. From the creation of your capital city, to resource management and competitive matches, Age of Empires fans will feel right at home.</blockquote>

(Hat tip: phil44)

Edited by Jeru

It seems they took all the things people didn't like about the previous games and make a game with them. Too cartoony, too few units, unrealistic gameplay, and it seems to me they try to emulate the look of the civilization games. Only one good thing, persistent world, if 0AD could have that, it would be the best.

• Like 2

Can I say here savely that I hated that game from the moment I saw the logo?

Serously I have been crying for an hour about what they have done to our all beloved game serie.

The complete reputation of AoE f***** up with this childish BS.

well they did their best to make a new graphics engine system. sadly they did it for the wrong concept. they could have done soo much better with just simply make AoM 2 or AoE 4. They won't ever be able to compute even the littlest bit with Starcraft 2.

I think this is one worse way of promoting your future games as starting game studio.

• Like 1

The cartoony graphics I can deal with, I play games for gameplay (Dwarf Fortress, EU3, Minecraft, Age of Mythology). The real problems are: a) One civilization "at release", aka everything else will be DLC B) Balance will suck, everyone will be at different homecity levels c) They aren't even trying to base anything off of history - duelwielding hypaspists Michael pointed out

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

The beta is open right now if you want to try it! It is open through Friday morning.

I've been playing the beta for the last 2 months. The game play is a lot like it was during the AoE2 era. They added some bits from AoE3 as well. I quite like it overall.

The new graphics are crisp and clear and it is quite easy to differentiate between units and even between units that are equipped differently. The dramitic "over the top" animations allowed by the more cartoonish theme make it very obvious what a unit is doing.

Every one of my buddies that I played AoE with complained about the game at first, but they have all come to really like it, even the graphics.

I'm not a fan boy, just think there might be some interesting things here that might not be obvious on the surface.

Take care all!

Myself? I avoid any Game that looks like I'm watching a Cartoon.

It may be the greatest Game in the World to others but to me it comes across as an insult to my senses.

That may be due to my time in service and my thought that any type War should not be protrayed as a Cartoon.

When Fred Flintstone starts hacking at people?

I am offended in a way that goes beyond words!

Cartoons should not be used to make any War seem acceptable.

Not even in a Game.

War is blood and death in a very gory and long lasting, disturbing way.

It's enuff that we have some realistic Games that desensitize kids nowdays.

Make them into a Cartoonish Game?

I have a great fear of what the outcome of that will be.

• 1 month later...

they may want to make kids love strategy games... so that they will not vanish... it is a great problem of the gaming industry to make strategy games survive. that can't be done cause many have turned to consoles(after they got an online feature) cause they are cheap. just look the sales of call of duty on consoles and then see the number of it on computers...

As a beta tester for a very long time - it was disappointing to say the least. Hopefully with full release I can buy the 'booster packs' and try out the PvP and decide more from that... I really disliked the MMO aspect because it was so incredibly boring and grindy. Setting up PvP matches and Co-op in the BETA took some time to figure out and the quests were often repeatable and incredibly boring.

The farm quest in particular was annoying - I could finish the first 3-4 (I forget how many there were) but I had to do it OVER AND OVER - I couldn't cash in for the rewards of all 3-4 at the same time.

I am ranting here but I did take it up in the beta forums and soon after I pretty much stopped beta testing. It was a little too boring and I had real life stuff that became more pressing.

Edited by Silver

The farm quest in particular was annoying - I could finish the first 3-4 (I forget how many there were) but I had to do it OVER AND OVER - I couldn't cash in for the rewards of all 3-4 at the same time.

I thought that this quest series was actually very useful, it taught you how manage worker production and farms production to maximize resource output. Once you get the hang of it you can actually do those quests fairly easily. I would just do it until it got hard, then play some other quests and come back to it later and was usually able to get the next level or two. I never did any one level more than a few times. I thought all the resource gathering quests were helpful to teach you balance.

I thought some of the quests were very hard, but if I came back to them later with better gear and more practice they were easier to complete.

I loved the game, my favorite of the Age series! The pathing and movement sets the bar for what I would like to see us do in 0AD.

I quit playing because working on 0AD was more fun!

Cheers,

Kenny

The pathing and movement sets the bar for what I would like to see us do in 0AD.

Definitely! Although I'm disappointed with how the game mechanics have not evolved at all since aok or maybe aom (e.g. after 10 years, why can we still not have walkable ships/bridges/walls/anything??), at least this time they really got the pathfinding right!! I also love their smooth fog of war... the game is so much more immersive just by that and when it comes to fow all other rts games look so outdated in comparison haha :D I couldn't resist from making a ticket out of it ;)

Edited by Android GRRR

Definitely! Although I'm disappointed with how the game mechanics have not evolved at all since aok or maybe aom (e.g. after 10 years, why can we still not have walkable ships/bridges/walls/anything??), at least this time they really got the pathfinding right!! I also love their smooth fog of war... the game is so much more immersive just by that and when it comes to fow all other rts games look so outdated in comparison haha :D I couldn't resist from making a ticket out of it ;)

This is true! I expected some new game play elements and there really aren't any. The leveling up concept doesn't really add anything new and exciting gameplay wise.

But still, compare it to Starcraft II, that game still has simple tiered maps (mostly just 2 levels) with ramps leading up and down. There are some cool gameplay elements with the different races though and the game can still be fun to play with friends. It takes the easy way out on a lot of the technical issues that AoEo solved this time around. Hopefully there are some new features coming down the pipe.

• Like 1

it's really disappointing if you consider the home city/rpg stuff from aoe3/aoeo as nothing more than some sort of advanced techtree. from that point of view the age series has not introduced any new gameplay elements since aom in 2002 (god powers, myth unit special attacks). and as if they wanted to make up for that they radically cut down user map/mod support at the same time haha. well handled. (0ad has a good chance to shine here with all its nice features :).)

Hopefully there are some new features coming down the pipe.

what do you mean? for aoeo or 0ad? frankly for aoeo i don't think so... given their astonishing record of innovation that i have just pointed out :P

Edited by Android GRRR