How stupid do they think I am?

I just found this (blatant) scam when I checked my emails today. How stupid do they think I am :)

From The Desk Of Joe Kekabu (Esq).

The Head Of File Department,

African Development Bank A.D.B

Ouagadougou Burkina-Faso West Africa.

Phone (00226-7885 75 97)

PLANE CRASH WEB SITE...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/859479.stm

("REMITTANCE OF $15 MILLION U.S.A DOLLARS

CONFIDENTIAL IS THE CASE")

Compliment Of The Season,

On a very good day. I am (Joe Kekabu Esq),the Head of file Department in African developent bank (ADB).I got your contact from Yahoo tourist search.

When i was searching for a foreign partner i assured of your capability and reliability to champion this businees opportunity when i prayed to God or Allah about you.In my department we discovered an abandoned sum of $ 15 million U.S.A dollars ( fifteen million U.S.A dollars) . In an account that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along with his entire family in (Monday 31st July 2000) in a plane crash. Since we got information about his death, we have been expecting his next of kin to come over and claim his money because we cannot release it unless somebody applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as indicated in our banking guidelines, but unfortunately we learnt that all his supposed next of kin or relation died alongside with him at the plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claim.

It is therefore upon this discovery that I and one official in my department now decided to make this businness proposal to you and release the money to you as the next of kin or relation to the deceased for safety and subsequent disbursement since nobody is coming for it and we don’t want this money to go into the bank treasury as unclaimed bill.

The Banking law and guideline here stipulates that if such money remained unclamed after five years, the money will be transfered into the Bank treasury as unclaimed fund. The request of foreigner as next of kin in this business is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a foreigner, and a Burkinabe cannot stand as next of kin to a foreigner. We agree that 30 % of this money will be for you as foreign partner, in respect to the provision of a foreign account, 10 % will be set aside for expenses incured during the business and 60 % would be for me and my woman colleague. There after i will visit your country for disbursement according to the percentages indicated.

Therefore to enable the immediate trnansfer of this fund to you as arranged, you must apply first to the bank as relations or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your bank account number, your private telephone and fax number for easy and effective communication and location where the money will be remitted.

Upon receipt of your reply, I will send to you by fax or email the text of the application I will not fail to bring to your notice that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for thetransfer.

You should contact me on my number (00226-7885 75 97) immediately as soon as you receive this letter. Trusting to hear from you immediately.

Yours faithfully,

Joe Kekabu (Esq.)

POST SCRITUM:You have to keep everything secret as to enable the transfer to move very smoothly in to the account you will prove to the bank.As you finished reading this letter call me immediately so that we discuss very well over this business.

Maybe I should call just for fun :D

Edited by Caesar

How about the Nigerian Royalty scams?

Those are going around all over the place. I read an account of someone who maintained a long contact with this guy, but most people who end up giving away their info never hear back again. Figures... I wonder if anyone in Nigeria gets them...

Haha yes I get these all of the time... I decided to have fun with one of them. you know they'll actually respond back if you reply?

I decided to mess with these guys a little bit, I told the guy I'd help him transfer his $65 million to my account only if he can help me transfer 4,000 Kilos of cocaine out of these docks in Colombia...

but he keeps giving me stuff like

Bobby Ognyanov,

Thanks for your mail which i received and understood the content.

I received your mail with thanks and wish to tell you that owing to the confidentiality of this transaction,i would not like you to involve any third party in this trnascation so as not to raise eyebrow.

This fund is all i have got to boost of after so many years of hard work in the civil services without a tangible Pin.

All you need do is to understand me and send the requested information so we can move forward and achieve the purpose of our transaction.

I urgently await for the requested information so we can proceed with this transaction.

Regards,

Frank Williams

So I'm gonna see if I can get him to agree on an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) so that it can under law be a private transaction. He doesn't want to do that and seems to want photo copies of my drivers license and personal information like age, date of birth and occupation first.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone could scam one of these guys :)

• 1 month later...

Update on the Frank Williams Saga

============ PERSONAL MEMO=========================

Dear Bobby Ognyanov,

I could not contact you earlier before now due to my tight chedules. I am

very happy to inform you about my success in getting that money under

the cooperation of a new partner from Paraguay . Presently I'm in

Paraguay with the partner for some projects with the money.

Meanwhile,I did not forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me

in that process despite that it failed us at that time. due to trust by then. Now, I want you to contact my secretary,his name is FRANCIS

EMEKA and his email address is: francis_emeka@latinmail.com or you call

him on his direct phone number 00229-9313-4867 arrange with him how the

total sum of ( $500,000.00 )will reach you safely which I have already

kept for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to

assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very

much. So feel free to get in touch with my secretary Francis and

discuss with him how the amount will reach you.

Please do let me know immediately you contact him to receive it so that we can share the joy after all the sufferness at that time. As at moment,I am very busy here because of the projects which I and the new partner are have at hand. Finally, remember that I had forwarded instruction to my secretary on

your behalf to receive that money, so feel free to get in touch with him and he will send the amount to you without any delay.

Best

regards,

From Frank Williams

YOU MUST CONTACT HIM DIRECT NOTME PLS.

thats what's been going on for the past 3 months :P He wanted all these documents but he said I shouldn't get any help on the transfer and to not tell anyone, so I asked if he'd like me to make an NDA to keep it legally private, and he flaked out for 2 months or so, but is back now.

This is some guy from some latin country, I get weird yahoo advertisements in spanish and each email has a few major gramatical errors.

Bobby you have inspired me. Observe the seeds I have planted for what is sure to be a great friendship:

Her:

From Faith Johnson

Dearest One,

With Due Respect And Humanity, I was compelled to write to you under a

humanitarian ground.

My name is Faith Johnson. I was born in Baltimore, Maryland, I am married to

Mr.Andrew Johnson director J.C Industries Cote d'Ivoire.We were married for

36 years without a child. He died after a Cadiac Arteries Operation.And

Recently, My Doctor told me that I would not last for the next six months

due to my cancer problem (cancer of the lever and stroke).

Before my husband died last year there is this sum $17 Million Dollars that

he deposited with a

Private Finance Company here In Ivory Coast. Presently this money is still

in the Vault of the

Company.Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to any good

God fearing brother or sister that will utilize this fund the way I am going

to instruct herein.

I want somebody that will use this fund according to the desire of my

late.husband to help Lessprivilaged people, orphanages,widows and

propagating the word of God. I took this decision because I don’t have any

child that will inherit this fund, And I don’t want in away where this money

will be used in an unGodly way.

This is why I am taking this decision to hand you over this Fund. I am not

afraid of death hence I know where I am going.I want you to always remember

me in your daily prayers because of my up coming Cancer Surgery.Write back

as soon as possible any delay in your reply will give me room in sourcing

another person for this same purpose, Hoping to read from you asap.

God bless you as you listing to the voice of reasoning,

Thanks

Mrs Faith Johnson

Me:

My dearest Faith Johnson:

OK yeah that would be great if you would just totally straight up transfer that 17 mil lump sum to my checking account. Listen I'll save you the trouble, I'd technically really actually prefer it in cash. I've got some tankers going down to Nigeria. But say we pull a pit stop in Abidjan-- what I really need to know is where you're operating out of. I can have my men as far north as Yamousoukro by Friday, but unless the goods are coming cash, we're talking a little bit of a service charge for any sooner or any farther. Listen, I'm really excited to do business with you. I know just the man in Portugal, he actually does money management in Lisbon, but has done a little venture capitalist work of the humanitarian nature, if you catch my drift-- he could hook you up with widows and orphans like you wouldn't believe. We're really talking Morocco now, he's actually out of Tanger, but we're close, you know. Like this. I'll tell you what, I'll try and cut a deal with him. He has more than a few close contacts in Angola, believe it or not. They were into the big game industry, really made it when they got some investors from England and a word-of-mouth network like you or your grandmother wouldn't believe. But hey, that's a story for a different day. The point is, they came clean and heard the gospels and now they're off on the other side of the continent in Tanzania doing missionary work-- of all places Tanzania, can you believe it?! I was actually talking to one of them the other month, and he was saying the weather's really been brutal lately. That was the other month though, my buddy in Morocco was saying he's never seen more rain in his life. I'm like, have you ever heard of the Gulf Stream? Apparantly not. He may not be the brightest bulb in the tool shed, but he's got a heart of silver. Anyhow, I'm sorry, that's a story for a different day, the weather in North Africa is unbelievable though. Listen, enough small talk. I want to hear about the money. I'm saying I can have a fleet as far as San Pedro by Wednesday 2 am, if the weather isn't half as crazy as my pal in Morocco says it is. But let's give them 12 hours leeway, we're still talking Thursday noon and Friday by that time I hope to have some men in the capital. Where exactly is this money at? I don't need specifics; I wouldn't want to pique your suspicion, just let's throw down a city name and date on the table, and I'll get a real conversation going. You know, I have a good friend who actually bought half the Egyptian cotton crop earlier this year. What can I say, it's been a slow year in the land of the Nile and he's got pockets deeper than a silverback gorilla. Now he's not your born again type, but I have no doubt the fear of God is somewhere close to his heart; let me do a little talking with him, and we'll see if we can't make more clothes than the widowed population of central Africa will know what to do with, huh? You with me? Are you? Huh?

Most sincerely yours truly,

Roger Q. Pendleton III Esq.

Edited by EKen132

I think having had the same email address publicly visible for about nine years, and having an infinite number of addresses (i.e. accepting "<anything>@hostname"), is a problem - I've had about 400 spam messages in the last week (including "delivery failed" messages for spam sent with my hostname (but a random username) in the From address), and 14,000 in the past 1.5 years, and that's after my ISP filters a lot of stuff automatically :P

I saw an article about a guy who sends false information back to the phishers (obviously not the Nigerian Prince scam, but still a scam), so that when they sell the information they get off the net to various companies, the companies find that they're false and lose trust in the phishers.

Hahah, that's a funny story you're playing with her Erik.

I love how you jump around the whole world:

Nigeria... Abidjan... Yamousoukro... Portugal... Lisbon... Morocco... Tanger... Angola... England... Tanzania... Morocco... North Africa... San Pedro... Morocco... Egyptian... Africa...

Brilliant writing! :P I wonder if "she" will write back.