Modeling help? (Blender)

wowgetoffyourcellphone

I am attempting to apply smoothing to the meshes used for our grass sprites. This smoothing should help reduce the bad shadowing effect found in the grass (place some in Atlas, then rotate the camera and you'll see very bad shadowing and face popping effects).

I have found one set of grass models that seem to already have the proper smoothing to mitigate this effect: 

art/meshes/gaia/grass_la_tall_a.dae

art/meshes/gaia/grass_la_tall_b.dae

These are used in the props/flora/grass_soft_large_tall actor.

My problem with attempting to reproduce this smoothing effect is when I import those 2 models in Blender, scale them down, and export them as grass_sm_tall_a.dae and grass_sm_tall_b.dae I lose the smoothing I was going for. I right-clicked the mesh in Blender, chose Shade Smooth, and then attempted to export the mesh. When viewing in Atlas, it is actually not smooth. I've also tried turning on Autosmooth in the Normals tab, but this didn't work either. 

What am I doing wrong? If I can solve this I can apply the solution to all of the grass actors in the game and make the terrain look very nice indeed. 

Below:

Left is the existing meshes grass_la_tall_a and grass_la_tall_b

Right is the meshes I attempted to export.

NjqRFBx.jpg

ZnqodHz.jpg

grass_la_tall_b.dae

This^ one is in the game already, and has some very nice smoothing.

grass_large_02.dae

This^ one is just me re-exporting the first mesh to a different filename. It's 2kb smaller, so I'm losing some data somewhere/somehow between importing and exporting. Maybe my exporting options?

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone