Multiplay over LAN disconnect after a while

temacn

Hi my friends in the forum,

I started to experience a very strange issue while playing multiplayer over LAN - my friend and I played 0ad for a while and the multiplayer mode worked fine until we are playing on the latest version (Alpha 25b). We can find each other and join the game without issue, but we got disconnected from each other after a while with error message "Connection Lost". We usually play 2x2 against AI. Worth mentioning, we both tried to host and since I have two laptops, I even tried another laptop and the same error happened. We even tried different maps and still it happened.

Maybe worth mentioning, we both use Mac computers. I have the latest Macbook Air M1 but as said above, I even switched to an older Macbook Air Intel and it didn't help.

We have a very stable Internet at home with 300Mbit/s internet connection and we sit next to each other, in the same room where router is located. I double checked the firewall (both switched off) and router (we both have internal IP assigned) so I would assume it is not an issue with Internet connection?

Can someone please spare a minute and help me out here what can be the issue?

Many thanks!

An update - not sure if this could cause the issue. I looked into our router and the "IPv4 Lease Time" is set to 1 hour - assuming this might cause the issue when the connected devices start to ask for renew of the ipv4 address?

Now I have changed to 1 day instead and see if this could potentially fix the issue. Will test tonight and let the other members know, in case someone experience the same issue.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately the "IPv4 Lease Time" didn't solve the issue but we tried to use the multiplayer lobby over Internet instead and it works.

Not sure if this is a bug or something wrong with our setup but we are happy since it is working now anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Stan.
We have not been able to fix the issue but rather got it work by using the multiplayer lobby instead. This is rather strange, as I assume that the multiplayer lobby is connecting each player using internet rather than we connect to each other over LAN, if the issue is on the router side then it should be the same thing whenever I browse internet or streaming?
Anyway, this is how we handled the issue for now in case someone is experiencing the same issue. 

• Like 1