0 A.D. Historians Question

Historicity

Congrats on your project, and I wish you the best with it.

As far as the copying issue goes:

You can't copyright history.

Everybody (you, me, and anybody else) has access to history and may use historical research in whatever way they see fit. Take for instance the Greeks you mentioned. Nobody can stop you from using doric columns on your structures just because they are in another game... like AoM or something.

If your building and my building both look greek... then thats a good thing. They are both supposed to look greek. What is not a good thing is if - say you make a greek barracks that looks like our greek barracks but is turned 90 degrees and the windows and doors have moved around a bit. That is not a good thing. It will look like you are copying us.

If you want your stuff to look unique, make your structure shapes, colors, and textures (not necessarily the facade and archtectural themes that give it the 'greek look') different.

Okay, first, good luck with your mod. Be sure to show us some screenshots when you can, that'd be awesome!

Secondly, as Wijit said, history is not property of Wildfire Games. You can put an Ekdromos unit, for instance, in your RON mod and it'll look fairly similar to ours. That isn't your fault. That isn't our fault. That's just how they looked. We are both trying to emulate history. However, about buildings - the specific shapes and such of the different classes of structures that we have developed for our game are only partly based on history. The other part comes from just generally trying to make each type of building easily identifiable to the player. That aspect of their designs are what make our game visually unique. That is the aspect that you should not copy. But as far as your Greek buildings looking like our Greek buildings in a general fashion, well, that's life. That's how it has to be. But the specific designs of the specific buildings themselves are Wildfire Games'.

Exactly what Michael said. We have not 'monopolized' the concept of researching - we've just done it thoroughly, then added / modified what we felt was necessary for the sake of gameplay. That's why using our stuff may not be the optimal solution for either you or us. I'm sure Shogun, our resident article writer, can point you to some inspirational articles / sources that you can use to do your own research.

Actually, if I recall correctly, Big Huge Games themselves had a similar problem when developing RoN (I remember reading about it somewhere, possibly their gamasutra postmortem) ...

Since historical RTSes all base themselves on the source material, they had a hard time trying to make their units and buildings look distinct from other games in the genre.

This particularly proved a problem for promotional material. They opted in the end to focus on the futuristic units in their screenshots where they had a little more artistic license.

Not particularly helpful to you, of course, but just a fact bite to let you know you're not alone. :cool: