Performance issues on v24

Vico

Hello!

First of all, thanks a lot for this update. The rebalancing applied was very interesting and brought a bit more difficulty than older builds.

I just update my game (uninstalled the previous version, deleted Documents\My Games\0ad and installed the new version), but now i'm suffering some performance degradation which didn't existed in v23.

For example, setting up a singleplayer match with this configurations:

• One player, Three AI (two hard, one easy), 2v2;
  • Map type Random - Islands
  • Map size very big, biome temperate
  • Map is not explored or revealed (neither i share my ally view)
  • Pop cap 150, initial resources very big
  • Cease-fire 25 minutes

In v24 this game turns very unplayable after a while. The game starts to randomly freeze for up to a minute, needing a ALT+Tab and some wait to resume for more seconds until it freezes again.

The reason i'm posting here is because in v23, creating a match with exactly same options (and even making the whole map revealed), it barely froze at all, the maxiumum was just a small slowdown during major battles between AIs.

So did i miss something during installation, or left some crucial option which could help with the slowness?

My PC specs are the following:

• Windows 10 x64 20H2
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 2200g
  • GPU Radeon RX 560
  • RAM 32GB
  • I didn't changed any of the options when updating, except antialiasing and sharpening (new options on v24?), and maybe shadow quality to very high. Could the settings be reset during the uninstall of v23?

I reproduced your setup, and indeed on A24 I got a lag spike now and then. It's the Pathfinder this time, in one case I got a single pathfinding call for a single unit that took 8.5 seconds. It seems to be caused mostly by AI units trying to go to their garrison ship.

I've investigated, and it's a bug (really, more like 'bad logic/unexpected edge case', that creates nonsensical requests. I'll fix it for A25.

Edit: unfortunately I don't see an easy way to avoid the issue on A24. You can play smaller maps or avoid islands (since I think ship transport is basically the only situation in which it really happens), or just use A23 for these type of games, or just endure the lag. It'll be long, but occasional.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wraitii said:

I reproduced your setup, and indeed on A24 I got a lag spike now and then. It's the Pathfinder this time, in one case I got a single pathfinding call for a single unit that took 8.5 seconds. It seems to be caused mostly by AI units trying to go to their garrison ship.

I've investigated, and it's a bug (really, more like 'bad logic/unexpected edge case', that creates nonsensical requests. I'll fix it for A25.

Edit: unfortunately I don't see an easy way to avoid the issue on A24. You can play smaller maps or avoid islands (since I think ship transport is basically the only situation in which it really happens), or just use A23 for these type of games, or just endure the lag. It'll be long, but occasional.

Thanks for the reply @wraitii, ill take it in consideration.

• Like 1