Skirmish Map feature ideas

So, I'm waiting for the Map Resize patch to be committed to Atlas, so I can make 4 and 6 player versions of a lot of the skirmish maps. And then I thought about how random map scripts work, how the player can customize the number of players and the map size etc.

With that in mind I thought of a possible cool feature for Skirmish maps. What if in game setup when you choose a skirmish map there is another option to choose the number of players. How this works is, for instance if there's a Britannic Road skirmish map built for 2 players, I could make 4 and 6 player versions of skirmish map and the drop menu in game setup would show 2, 4, and 6 player options. If I make 3 and 5 player versions, the dropdown would only show 2,3, and 5 player options. 

There are a number of ways this could be achieved. One way is with map file names. Could have britannic_road_2, britannic_road_3, britannic_road_7, etc. and then the UI could parse that these are 2, 3, and 7 player options to list in the dropdown. That, or there could be a small XML file that lists the possible maps under the name "britannic_road" and the Ui just loads that small XML file for the dropdown. There are probably other ways of doing it too, just need to decide which option is easiest/makes most sense and gives the most flexibility. 

Perhaps this could be done by using the custom flags (in this case a custom dropdown) for maps, hopefully being handled by some js helper? That would require some implementation work but would be cleaner than an ad-hoc solution for this case.

So for example you could have a helper script for map setup.

Edited by badosu
  • Like 1