Getting started with development

Hello everyone, I have found this game and I love the whole concept behind this project. I'm a computer engineer and I have worked before on projects with C++ or javascript.

I already programmed in unity but this seems very different to me and I'd like to get the experience of working in this project. 

First of all, I downloaded the source code from the svn repository and compiled it, then I continued looking for tasks required to complete but when I read it I don't know where to start and how your code works. It's really hard for me find a beggining. I started by taking a look at the simple tasks but I don't know which to choose because they look like they are resolved or have people working on it or I don't know if that bug actually exists. I've read Finding_Your_Way_Around,  Mod_Layout and GettingStartedProgrammers.

Do you have a tip for me? How can I understand better your code and it's operation? Which simple task do you recommend me? How did you personally started on this project?

I'd like to be a very valuable programmer in this project and contribute as much as possible. I have been translating the game to spanish as Antonio_vazquez while I try to find out how to start.

Thank you for your help, I am looking forward to your response.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Antonio_vazquez said:

Hello everyone, I have found this game and I love the whole concept behind this project. I'm a computer engineer and I have worked before on projects with C++ or javascript.

I already programmed in unity but this seems very different to me and I'd like to get the experience of working in this project. 

First of all, I downloaded the source code from the svn repository and compiled it, then I continued looking for tasks required to complete but when I read it I don't know where to start and how your code works. It's really hard for me find a beggining. I started by taking a look at the simple tasks but I don't know which to choose because they look like they are resolved or have people working on it or I don't know if that bug actually exists. I've read Finding_Your_Way_Around,  Mod_Layout and GettingStartedProgrammers.

Do you have a tip for me? How can I understand better your code and it's operation? Which simple task do you recommend me? How did you personally started on this project?

I'd like to be a very valuable programmer in this project and contribute as much as possible. I have been translating the game to spanish as Antonio_vazquez while I try to find out how to start.

Thank you for your help, I am looking forward to your response.

Hello and welcome to the forums first of all It will be nice if you stated in what part of development are you interested in ( graphics, networking, maintance of libraries, optimizations, Art department, music department  (there are some features that require programmer attention too), UI, GUI,  simulation, components ...)? 

• Like 1

Hello @Antonio_vazquez,

we appreciate your interest and we look forward to see your contribution.

As asterix said, it is better if you start in part you are interested in.

Anything (or most part) about game simulation and whole ai is written in javascript, which communicates with engine written in c++ using  global/direct messages or functions defined for it. Engine takes care about anything else, like drawing graphics, computing turns, broadcasting messages to entities, checking obstructions, unit movement, it stores all components and entities and so on.

every entity in the game has its components, which are separate and every component takes care for specific logic and stores variables if needed (health, attack, unitai, ...)

entity itself is defined in template file using xml syntax and components.

then there is code in javascript related to session, grouped in gui folder ,it gets data to be displayed, decides if some icon should be red, grayedout, what will happen after some clicking on it (and other codes, for example what will happen when someone clicks to unit, ...)

anything visual is located in art folder, where are actor files, they define how given entity will look, which animations will be played, of course given actor file needs to be bound with game entity in its template.

If you find any ticket here is list with keyword simple (https://trac.wildfiregames.com/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~simple&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&order=priority) you think you are interested in and you have doubts if it is still valid or free, feel free to leave comment there or visit (what is recommended for faster communication) https://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=0ad-dev there should be almost anytime (well, timezones) someone able to help you.

Wish you good times with coding.

Regards

Angen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1