Skrimish map: Battle of Vikingland (8)

Looks good!

Just a fiew tips that i would like to see:

Not shure if its ment to be a realistic map or not, but your could make the starting area's a bit higher above sea level with cliffs on each side, or just drop the sea level. And make the end of the fjord lower for harbours. see the pictures i send with this reply

Also a bit more green could look nice! since a lot of fjords in real life are full of trees and bushes 

Second, the trees, i am not shure if 0ad has pine trees (have not played for a while) but i am pretty shure it has, you should use more pine tree's instead of the european ones. (if they are pine trees and i am just blind ignore this xD) and mabye place a bit more tree's in a more random path. 

try to use google earth or just pictures to recreate a fjord.

the concept is good! i think there are not a whole lot of maps like this :) 

fjord.jpg

harbour place.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I am born and raised in this contry and have lived among fjords and mountain so i know them well. There is definitive room for improvment but the goal was not true realism. Just a condenced consept sort of thing. But I will definitively concider your suggestions. :)

11 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

I am wondering if there is some way  to auto generate a concept like this with options of different map sizes and number of players like the maps in the game.

Random Maps. These are generated by a script which is written in JavaScript. Currently, the wikis are a bit incomplete but still good enough for a brief introduction: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Random_Map_Generator

The subsequent links there are helpful as well.

You could also look around the existing scripts in maps/random

1 hour ago, woodpecker said:

I am wondering if there is some way  to auto generate a concept like this with options of different map sizes and number of players like the maps in the game.

With the new release you can load map terrain from scenario files

Then you can paint it and add entities randomly

But this map looks simple enough to be fully generated by a random map script

4 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I am born and raised in this contry and have lived among fjords and mountain so i know them well. There is definitive room for improvment but the goal was not true realism. Just a condenced consept sort of thing. But I will definitively concider your suggestions. :)

Ah ok, so you know a lot more about them then i do :)

One more thing, what size is the map? i was wondering if a little bigger would be possible to make the naval combat a bit better. Since the space between te end of the fjords and the edge of the map is pretty limited. 

Also some shores dont look smooth? the fiew shores you can see in the front of the picture are a bit rough, mabye try to smooth them a bit?

Again it has been long since i made a map myself so i dont know everything very well anymore.

Definitly want to try this map out if i download the new version of 0AD again