AppImage for the Game

sphyrth

We currently get quite some help from the distro guys wrt testing on different platforms, taking care of the dependencies, and distributing releases.

If we'd move to AppImages, we would most likely have to do that testing ourselves, taking care of the dependencies by ourselves, and also host the linux release packages (which isn't that cheap to do for such a big binary with so many downloads).

So yes, it's possible, but I don't see the advantages in it for us (as we are already in most distros).

• 4 years later...

I see that this is old topic, but I think it became meaningful, since apparently game still rely on Python2 and some of distributions are actually trying to get rid of Python2 (Gentoo for example).

Sharing appimage would be possible via torrent. It was designed for that :) I could seed game and I bet more people would seed too. That would reduce cost and requirements for servers.

If code would be on GitLab for instance, appimage could be automatically generated via CI. At least releases. If you need helping hand with this, I'm in.

40 minutes ago, MartinS said:

I see that this is old topic, but I think it became meaningful, since apparently game still rely on Python2 and some of distributions are actually trying to get rid of Python2 (Gentoo for example).

Sharing appimage would be possible via torrent. It was designed for that :) I could seed game and I bet more people would seed too. That would reduce cost and requirements for servers.

If code would be on GitLab for instance, appimage could be automatically generated via CI. At least releases. If you need helping hand with this, I'm in.

0 A.D. is already available as a snap and as a flathub package.

There is Gitlab mirror