Map Making Technique - Using props and decals

wackyserious

Map Making Technique - Using props and decals to easily create a detailed terrain.

map03.jpg

The Image below is an example of a terrain that I created without relying much on Atlas editor's terrain tool, the grass terrain seen below are just decal props located at the object tool section of the Atlas editor, and below it is nothing but dirt terrain, as you can see on the background. (I'll explain on the next image below, how easy it is to create a terrain by just copy-pasting and rotating decals and other props.)

map02.jpg

The things that you will need to prepare are sets of irregularly distributed props and decals. (What I prepared below are, 1.) Civic Center template, 2.) Forest templates, one with stones, and one without, plus a 3.) Stone and metal mine template)

map01.jpg

To prepare the templates, you will need to,

• First, make an empty field terrain using different decals, search it in the objects section under the props category (Right now, there very few decals, and you can only prepare very few types of biomes and I hope that by presenting this tutorial, the devs would consider this type of map making and create more decals that can be used in making maps like this)
  • I used 3 decals as seen on the image below.
  • Arrange the decals in a circular or irregular pattern as seen on the images above (Shapes like cresent and almond are good)
  • Their shapes will be relevant because you will be copy-pasting those templates and rotate them, to easily create new detailed terrains without putting much time in thinking about the design, you will use the irregularity of the shape and create maps like adding puzzle pieces.
  • Next, copy/duplicate the plain grass field decal template and try creating new templates like forest or grassland templates by adding new objects on the top of the copied empty field decal (You can see some examples that I made on the image above)
  • Once you have a good amount of templates, put them all in the one corner of the map and you can use them as source/original templates
  • You can now assemble your puzzle (I mean your map) :) Just copy-paste and rotate it. Good luck!

PS: You can refine your map more by adding new things in the empty areas left by unmatched template edges.

map04.jpg

Edited by wackyserious
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, wackyserious said:
  • [...] the devs would consider this type of map making and create more decals that can be used in making maps like this)
Decals should not be used instead of terrain textures, but in addition to those. If you're not happy with the current terrain textures I'm quite certain that nobody would complain about some more.

2 hours ago, leper said:

Decals should not be used instead of terrain textures , but in addition to those. If you're not happy with the current terrain textures I'm quite certain that nobody would complain about some more.

I agree, proper map making should not be done in this way, this is just an unconventional technique that can be used in making maps. Texture painting is just like traditional painting, but instead, you do mouse strokes when you paint terrain. On the other hand, this technique works like a collage, :) you just prepare your pieces and paste them like putting puzzle pieces.

No problem with the current terrain textures at all, in fact, there is a wide variety of textures at the moment, IMHO.

I will experiment more in creating maps using this technique (I might try and create new decals that will add more detail to the collage templates)