Can't open rc

av93

I tried to install and play both release candidates (1 & 2 ) from here, and I really can't open the game. It doesn't even launch a error console, it just doesn't appear. If I open the Task Manager, I can see the pyrogenesis.exe process (not in applications tab), but I can't finish them.

I know that there isn't clues to think what is happening, but I could run 0 a.d always prior this alpha

EDIT: I can't even taskkill the process.

Edited by av93

Well, there must be some information that is missing. I'm at a loss as for what it is though :P

You did choose to uninstall any previous version during the installation, right?

And you do have a couple of GBs free on your main hard drive? (Even if 0 A.D. is installed somewhere else the installation process uses the main disk.)

Have you tried rebooting your computer and trying again? (I'm getting desperate if you can't tell ;) )

Maybe one of the programmers have got a better idea where to look for the solution to this issue.

It would be good to run the game in a debugger, but that's a somewhat advanced topic :( One relatively easy thing is to run DebugView before launching the game, that will show any "hidden" debug output and may tell us what is going wrong.

Another thing is to run Process Explorer, find pyrogenesis.exe in the list kinda like task manager, right-click on it and choose Create Dump > Create Minidump... to save the dmp file somewhere. That will provide us with a call stack of what the game is doing. You can zip it and attach it here for analysis. I don't know how well it works, but we can find out :)

The standard procedure for reporting these issues is to provide the game logs, see Reporting Errors.

No mods installed. Also as I said I removed 0 a.d manually.

I installed the rc on my older pc, and worked (laggy as expected, cause its old with low hardware), but in my Windows 7 it doesn't. Reinstalled A18 and it runs as normal :unknw:

Bruno, I will send you the two files. Not sure if I have done right with the DebugView thing

Please attach the logs here :) DebugView didn't capture anything from the game, either the game fails very early or there was a problem capturing the output. Maybe you need to run DebugView as administrator? I never have problems with that but I recall some people do. ProcessExplorer might also need to run as administrator to generate a minidump. Both of these work on my system, so I'm not sure why they don't work for others.

One question, do you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7, and which edition is it (Pro, Home, etc.)? Really knowing your full system info would help.