Troop Behavior - Don't Attack the Buildings and Ignore Enemies!

graywalker

So, I was playing yesterday and I got really aggravated that there is no apparent way to tell the troops, "Kill live enemies only and leave the buildings alone!"

I watch my troops stop to chop at buildings and get pelted with enemy ranged fire. "Aarrrgghh!! You Idiots!"

Oh, and the getting into formation when told to go somewhere. Those closer to the location should wait for the others to join instead of turning back to make formation.

And, when told to go somewhere, they don't stop to fight enemies encountered along the way!

Is there anywhere that defines the "Violent", "Aggressive", "Passive", "Defensive" and "Standground" modes a bit better as far as what they will and won't do in that mode?

Could a "Custom" mode be added?

I am assuming some here, but it seems that :

Violent - increased damage, decreased defense, attacks any enemy unit or building, doesn't chase if another opportunity for violence is close.

Aggressive - Normal attack and defense, attacks any enemy unit or buidling, chases fleeing units.

Passive - only follows orders, flees from violence.

Defensive - decreased attack, increased defense, attacks only if attacked, does not chase fleeing units.

Standground - decreased attack, increased defense, stands in the same place, attacking only units in range when attacked.

Custom could include all the options:

Increased damage OR increased defense OR Normal OR increased accuracy

Attacks and Chases OR Attacks when Attacked OR Flees Violence OR Attacks, doesn't chase

Attacks all enemy units and buildings OR Attacks only Troops OR Stands Ground

Maybe add in :

Seeks healer when at 20% health OR Goes to Garrison when at 20% health OR Fights to the death

Formation before moving OR Formation while moving OR Formation on Arrival

Forced March to Location (no attacking until arrival) OR Move until Engaged

May be two custom settings CS1 and CS2?

Though I don't really like attack priorities due to the wide range of armor values (if units should be able to attack buildings at all) I have to say in this case it would help.

(However, attack priority should come late in the unit AI's decision queue which target to attack at least after "target in range" (for ranged units))

AFAIK in the end units should not be able to attack buildings at all but capture them.

So this will not be an issue at all in the end (again, if I'm informed correctly).

Is there any place that sums up the targeted gameplay (http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameplayFeatureStatus does not provide much information about this)?

Edited by FeXoR

• 2 months later...

Command and Control. Units left to do "whatever" will do just that.

If a unit is attacked, you get a message.

If I tell a group of units to destroy a town center...I WANT IT DROPPED. I don't want my troops chasing every attack unit on the way.

As a matter of fact, dispersing little groups of harassment troops could turn an attack march into absolute failure as they break apart to chase small bands of "skirmishers". They have no way of effectively catching.

Command and Control. Units left to do "whatever" will do just that.

If a unit is attacked, you get a message.

If I tell a group of units to destroy a town center...I WANT IT DROPPED. I don't want my troops chasing every attack unit on the way.

As a matter of fact, dispersing little groups of harassment troops could turn an attack march into absolute failure as they break apart to chase small bands of "skirmishers". They have no way of effectively catching.

For now the pathfinder influences every action related with move, they need fix first and then the units can have a formation with a battalion system, moving around like a single units. Edited by Lion.Kanzen