Some ideas about new unit classes

av93

- Support units (Female, Traders , Slaves ...)

Slaves: No capturing, not micro. Just make it available in the 3 phase, with or without a tech. They role is having male workers that don't lose economic bonus by the rank upgrades in the late game, replacing citizien soldiers.

- Citizien-Militia

Taking inspiration of the DD of Seleucids, some civs could get citizien-milita. By an historian point of view, I think that most of the citizien-soldiers were a sort of militia, getting weapons when necessary... But this class could represent the lower society and the less trained men. (Also I know that this is represented by having ranks and champions..) But by the way, in terms of gameplay:

-Only trainable in CC

-Cheaper or faster to train that citizien soldiers

-Can't upgrade ranks

-Good as meat shield

*SOME CIVS would encourage slaves, and others citizien-milita, for replacing citizien-soldiers in the economic field by tech or bonuses. Also, some civs could forbid one or another kind of unit.

- Mercenaries

To make them more unique, make them only military, but with the ability to gain ranks. Maybe they could be trained only in groups (the plural of batch is batches?)

What do you think?

Edited by av93

Slaves could be bought at the market instead of being trained and be a percentage of killed ("captured") units from a global pool, or only the enemies killed by each player or team. Or they could just have a fixed limit, increaseable by techs. They would make the rank techs more viable.

Some civs (seleucids only?) have some unrankable citizen soldiers trained only from the CC. This could work for all civs I guess together with your idea for buffing either them or slaves according to each civ. But it could also be an overkill with similar versions of the same units.

Mercenaries indeed could work this way. They could use some more differentiation besides resource costs, and they're soldiers, not workers (with some exceptions like those granted land for service).

• Like 1

-In AOE are a trainable militia to protect the city/colony. I love meat shield warriors are useful to make a deception against other players.

-With mercenary are two types weak cheap ( more meat shield) and elite exotic units to balance or balance the game.

-With slaves

I'm considering the possibly of create market where have a percentage of slaves for each kill you got the 2.5% and for buy each slave you need 10% the max is 100. So you can train 10 and don't have more room for that.

I think prodigal has a great thought going.

I wouldn't mind buying slaves from a global pool. But i would like to add that you can only buy 5 at a time. and you need to wait 30 seconds in order to re-buy them. (to make it so one side cant just have them all, :3)

They should have mining bonuses, nothing else. Slaves were mostly used for 2 things: farming, and mining. as it is, farming is the female bonus so we can't have it on a unit which would render them obsolete.

It may not be a good idea, but if morale is implemented, how about also adding a constant decline in morale unless there are soldiers near by, and it would reduce if ENEMY soldiers are near by (chain breaking, freeing the slaves by force of arms)

So you would need to keep them in big palisade pens in order for them to be not rebelling every 5 seconds. :)

Thoughts?

It may not be a good idea, but if morale is implemented, how about also adding a constant decline in morale unless there are soldiers near by, and it would reduce if ENEMY soldiers are near by (chain breaking, freeing the slaves by force of arms)

So you would need to keep them in big palisade pens in order for them to be not rebelling every 5 seconds. :)

Thoughts?

Good idea. And how about master. Slave's morale cannot decrease until there are masters outside palisades.

Every 5 seconds seems too little, but something similar could be used.

In my wc3 mod I have slaves with degenerating health, and at some low health point they rebel. Then each rebelled slave caused (removed for now) rebellion to other slaves nearby with just one hit. It was funny to see your entire mining or lumbering team go neutral hostile (gaia equivalent) in 2 seconds and attack anything in sight, I might re-add this.

If by any chance it's implemented this way in 0 AD, it combos nice with healers. A preacher healing/oppressing/whatever your slowly dying slaves makes for a more effective gather team than normal workers.

Edited by Prodigal Son
  • Like 1

Every 5 seconds seems too little, but something similar could be used.

In my wc3 mod I have slaves with degenerating health, and at some low health point they rebel. Then each rebelled slave caused (removed for now) rebellion to other slaves nearby with just one hit. It was funny to see your entire mining or lumbering team go neutral hostile (gaia equivalent) in 2 seconds and attack anything in sight, I might re-add this.

If by any chance it's implemented this way in 0 AD, it combos nice with healers. A preacher healing/oppressing/whatever your slowly dying slaves makes for a more effective gather team than normal workers.

like the mule unit in starcraft 2. Is a unit with a boost to gather resources.

• 2 weeks later...