Prisioneros?

Leonidas l

Why can't I but believe Lion is the most successful promoter of 0AD? :D

What exactly do you have in mind to do with prisoners? We've talked a lot about how to capture them, but not about the what to do with them (that was where the trac ticket (corralling) also got stuck).

It was discussed to put the captives as a garrison into buildings (e.g. put wild animals into stables). There is a mockup to having the units simply gather around the buildings.

Not everyone was happy with it as for animals it should be more loose (feating on the grass) than for prisoners (they should be put in cages or turned into slaves should they?).

A flexible solution could be to be able to build fences or cages the way the wall building works: place fences, steel structures and the like to create obstructions around the prisoners so they can't leave.

An example is how gates in walls work (removing of 2 obstruction tiles on runtime if the gate is opened).

The fence solution is not viable yet due to the pathfinder's resolution of 4x4. Thus the long range pathfinder might find a way through fences, making a unit lead there. Then the short pathfinder steps in and finds no way. This state can't be left.

The new long range pathfinder of Philip has a higher resolution (1x1). This could allow for the fences and eye-candy being placed freely on the map. So this would be a huge improvement (visually & for corralling/herding).

Unfortunately there is no one working on a fitting shortrange pathfinder to my knowledge. If anyone of our community knows a bit of C programming, then this would be a good deed - and a great leap for 0A.D. (we like so much).

• Like 1

How about, you have to have a prison building in order to take prisoners, they provide an economic boost through forced labour, and the prison is a productive building which you can build next to resources in order to get a bonus at harvesting that resource, but can be freed by your enemies (I did think maybe you could ransom them back to your enemy but this wouldn't work as why would your enemy choose to pay a ransom to as opposed to simply training more soldiers?). 'Take prisoners' could be a kind of stance setting, in which defeated enemy troops, rather than being killed are sent back to your prison.

Edited by McAllisterw

• 5 months later...

What I proposed is merely optional, i.e. if you want place those fences, else just don't do it. If you like micro then you'll be happy. Else you just not use it.

The slaves need a UnitAI state "CAPTURED" as well as a target entity that captured it. This prisoner-capturer relationship can be removed similar to how guards are removed.

Then the slave will flee if no more units or attack-capable structures (buildings, unpacked siege engines) are nearby.

This state will be useful for both the Surrender and the Capturing components but not for the Conversion component.