Some question about issue #1909

Hi guys,

I want to start working on issue #1909 but I need some clarifications as I am new to 0a.d. (this is just my second task).

I submitted a comment on the ticket page but just wanted to make sure that my questions get to the right people who can help.

Here is the comment I sent on the ticket page:

I wanted to ask for some clarifications regarding issue #1909

I know that we should add a new element to actor file which have loaded-projectile and projectile properties

the element can look like: <prop actor="some/path" attachpoint="particle"/>

my questions are:

1 - how do we represent particles in 0a.d.? using actors or what?

2 - after assigning the particle that should be played along with the projectile, should I add the code that plays the particle in CUnitAnimation::Update() just like we do with sound groups?

Hi Ergawy,

A few of the developers hang out on the 0 A.D. Development IRC Channel ​#0ad-dev on QuakeNet. Perhaps you could try asking there? Best time to ask would be in the evenings (GMT time).

Otherwise hopefully someone with better dev skills than I will be able to answer your questions.

Welcome to the forums btw!

Thanks for the reply. I asked on the IRC channel and they told me to go to the forums :).

lol. Maybe it was a slow day ;)

To get you started, here are some details that may help you with question 1:

The actor files for particles can be found here:

binaries\data\mods\public\art\actors\particle

The particles can be found here:

binaries\data\mods\public\art\particles

Hopefully one of the programmers will be able to help you answer question 2.

Hello! We're always glad to see new people helping contribute to 0AD. Sometimes we're a little slow to respond on irc, try asking your question and waiting awhile (hour or so). Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with much of 0AD besides the GUI and simulation so I don't have an answer to your question, you might want to try asking historicbruno on irc.