Any BASIC tutorials?

dandennison84

I've read/watched the tutorials referenced from this site, but basic gameplay stuff seems really lacking. Can someone give me advice on starting as the Romans and winning Acropolis 3? I'm looking for something along the lines of put your first 4 works on food, then build 4 more and put them on lumber, etc. Something to get me through the first 10 minutes of the game? I'm playing against the QBot AI.

I also have real troubles controlling my troops, they start chasing wanderers all over the place.

I am a little confused by what you are trying to ask, but there are plenty of introduction videos of 0 A.D. on youtube. Unless you are asking for tips on strategy for certain civilizations? If you are having problems of units wandering off, there is a button function on the menu screen below when you have selected troops. Those button functions include telling the selected units to"stand by". Meaning that they will not move.

as the game isn't balanced yet, and the AI isn't ready, all such tutorials will be obsolete very fast. so I guess these tutorials will only appear when it's quite stable.

now for example, the AI can't use naval warfare, so you don't have protect coastlines. AI also can't research any techs, so if you research as many techs as possible, you have the strongest units.

Edited by sanderd17

Try the in-game tutorials:

Go to Single Player > Matches

Change the 'Map Filter' dropdown to 'Demo Maps'

Select 'Introductory Tutorial' and run through that.

After that go back into Demo Maps and select 'Starting Economy Walkthrough'

Once you've completed both of those tutorials you should be able to defeat qBot quite easily. Remember to defend using garrisoned defense towers and fortresses - the AIs aren't good at countering buildings yet.

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of the questions, yes, I'm looking for some basic strategy. Thanks for the multi-player video links, I'm watching those now. Pureon, thanks for the suggestions, but I don't seem to have those in game maps/tutorials. I do have a lot of various options under Demo Maps that I'll try, but not the ones you specifically mentioned.

Ah, the tutorial maps were added in Alpha 12 iirc. If you're not afraid to add PPAs you can try the steps under "0 A.D. Provided packages" here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/LatestReleaseLinux#Ubuntu to get Alpha 12 (or if you really want to stay on top of the new things try the development snapshot PPA - might be a bit less stable at times etc, but most of the time it should be just as nice to play with as a stable release).

Ok, I went with what is behind door #2 and am using the dev ppa for the latest and greatest. I now see the tutorials. Thanks!

Definitely try the Starting Economy Walkthrough. It's exactly the kind of "put 4 on food, next 4 on wood" thing you were looking for. It was written by the legendary quantumstate (the guy who pwned me in that multiplayer game :P ), who's probably the best player around (except when TheMista shows up). He knows what he's doing.

Ok, the tutorials were great as was the multi-player game. I learned a couple of things. First, in the intro tutorial, there is no metal and I overbuilt troops early on and didn't have enough metal to finish. So had to redo that one. In the econ tutorial, where would I find the scenario file so I could read the text? It goes by so fast I would like to read it and/or print it out?

In the econ tutorial, where would I find the scenario file so I could read the text? It goes by so fast I would like to read it and/or print it out?

The text for that scenario isn't actually within the scenario's file, it's part of the tutorial AI. You can read the text within the code here: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/simulation/ai/tutorial-ai/economic_walkthrough.js

Ok, the tutorials were great as was the multi-player game. I learned a couple of things. First, in the intro tutorial, there is no metal and I overbuilt troops early on and didn't have enough metal to finish. So had to redo that one. In the econ tutorial, where would I find the scenario file so I could read the text? It goes by so fast I would like to read it and/or print it out?

It pops up the messages in real time which is why it is so fast. Once you have read it through I would recommend making sure you can keep up when playing. With some recent changes to the game it is a bit out of date, it will now be possible to do things faster than it suggests.

I suggest opening the console (hit ` or F8 or something), which contains a log of the messages.