WIP: Javascript debugging - Web developer wanted

I've done a bit of testing, it's working really well. A few nitpicks:

- The game supports "hotloading", meaning if a loaded script is changed on the disk while in a game session, it will be reloaded. Any chance the UI could reflect this? I assume the UI polls the debugging server anyway to see if it is break, so maybe it could poll for updated scripts too?

- Can we fit a 'hostname' field somewhere in the UI to allow the user to connect to a different host than 127.0.0.1? Would be useful for people with multiple computers.

- The place to click to set a breakpoint is not well-defined visually. If I click in the far right side of the line number, it doesn't set a break point, but if I click in the far left side it does.

This UI looks great. I did a bit of testing and it seems nice.

I've done a bit of testing, it's working really well. A few nitpicks:

- The game supports "hotloading", meaning if a loaded script is changed on the disk while in a game session, it will be reloaded. Any chance the UI could reflect this? I assume the UI polls the debugging server anyway to see if it is break, so maybe it could poll for updated scripts too?

Hotloading of javascript is probably not likely to work very well. I don't think it is worth bothering with this.

It seems to work for minor changes, but oh well.

Here's a different suggestion then: Would it be possible to show line numbers in the call stack? It can sometimes be helpful to know not just what function made a call, but also what part of the function made it.

While we're nitpicking :)

• The call stack and values list boxes should be cleared if we're not in the debugger, as that data is no longer valid
  • It should detect when the connection to the server is lost and reset the UI
  • Hotkeys would definitely be nice
  • Would it be possible to arrange the files in a hierarchical/tree list?
  • I would also like to have some settings: host IP and SetSettingSimultaneousThreadBreak
  • This may be wishful thinking and very hard to implement, but how about hovering tooltips to show a variable's value?
  • I like the find (Ctrl+F) feature in the source view, too bad it also opens Firefox's find box :/

Requests for the debugger itself:

• Local variables, if possible, would be quite helpful
  • Include variable types/classes
  • How about a "BreakAll" command, that breaks into all script interfaces? And "Break id" to break into a single script interface?
  • ClearBreakpoints to clear all existing breakpoints

Yves, obligatory spelling fix: https://github.com/z...9606b3ac98.diff

Thank you, I'll fix it for the next patch.

I've uploaded a new patch (v0.9).

Changelog:

• Fixes the problem that functions could fail because StringifyJSON returned an exception. Credits go to historicbruno for figuring it out.
  • Fixes an assertion failure when loading random maps because they don't initialize the profiler but try to use it now through the debugger.

• 1 month later...

A new version is ready. This version is the one I'm going to commit this Thursday if there are no objections.

Feedback is very welcome.

Changlog (I probably don't remember a lot of it)

• Set breakpoints in JS via: throw "Breakpoint";
  • Displays local variables, the "this" object and the global object
  • Works around circular references and some other problems which should allow it to display values correctly in most (if not all) cases
  • Fixes some issues with stepping
  • Fixes an issue with breakpoints on lines without code
  • The debugger can now be enabled or disabled using a config setting. This works both in release and debug mode.
  • Added a "Break" command
  • Made two button ("Continue" and "Continue thread") instead of one ("Continue")

The GUI is attached.

The patch can be downloaded here.

User documentation is here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/JavascriptDebugging

Technical documentation of the debugger here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/JavascriptDebuggingServer

... I will still have to check the wiki for typos, I haven't spent much time on that yet.

JSDebugger.zip

Did some testing:

Displays local variables, the "this" object and the global object

I'm not sure how the 'this' object is supposed to work? I can't find 'this.entity' anywhere, for instance, even while in break on lines referring to it.

Also, apparently if I select a different stack frame, I have to 'step' before the 'Values' list is updated? Is it not possible to interrogate the various stack frames asynchrously, while the game remains in break?

Added a "Break" command

I'm not having much luck with this. I always end up in a non-existent file called "(eval)", resulting in this error in-game:

ERROR: CVFSFile: file (eval) couldn't be opened (vfs_load: -110101)

Other than that, it looks good!

I'm not sure how the 'this' object is supposed to work? I can't find 'this.entity' anywhere, for instance, even while in break on lines referring to it.

In which file on what line?

Also, apparently if I select a different stack frame, I have to 'step' before the 'Values' list is updated? Is it not possible to interrogate the various stack frames asynchrously, while the game remains in break?

You have to double-click on the stack frame.

I'm not having much luck with this. I always end up in a non-existent file called "(eval)", resulting in this error in-game:

ERROR: CVFSFile: file (eval) couldn't be opened (vfs_load: -110101)

I've seen this error too. It's because it tries to load the file "(eval)" from the vfs.

Eval is usually just one line of code that gets passed to the scriptinterface somewhere directly from c++. There's no real file associated with it.

It often stops in eval when you use "Break", but if you try a few times more it should also break somewhere else.

If there are multiple threads running you sometimes have to switch to the one you're interested in by double-clicking that thread.

In which file on what line?

simulation/components/Attack.js:435

var cmpPosition = Engine.QueryInterface(this.entity, IID_Position);

You have to double-click on the stack frame.

Yep, that did the trick.

Edited by zoot

Thank you guys for testing. :)

simulation/components/Attack.js:435

That looks like a bug. I'll have a look at it.

I just committed the debugger here, here and here.

I've also had a look at the issue with properties missing in the "Values" panel.

Thanks to Philip and Alpha123 for helping me figuring it out. I haven't completely confirmed it yet but the problem seems to be what I explain here.

I've committed the debugger anyway because it's a problem that only affects the debugger and can be fixed later.

Would it be too much of a hack to have the debugging server launch a browser window with the UI when it encounters a "thrown" breakpoint in the code? Perhaps as an toggleable option? It would fit quite a lot better into my usual debugging workflow, than having to manually Alt-Tab out, browse through the file system, and finding the right file to open.