New mod

Lion.Kanzen

(Actually one can make money with it, as long as it's also available for free and to be reused by others =) )

As for how much you can do with it: It depends on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it :) A lot of things can be accomplished just with XML files, and if you are willing to learn/know JavaScript you can do a lot more (and if you know/learn C++ you can do just about anything if you have enough time :) ).

Have you seen this? http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/Modding_Guide

For the filename of your mod (e.g. "public"), I would use only letters and numbers (0-9, a-z) and lower case, since that's the precedent. There may not be a technical limitation for that, but generally using spaces and punctuation in paths is less than ideal.

Well, you can't earn money with it, be sure of that. This said, if i'm not wrong, you can modify at your will as long as you keep it a freeware. But i've seen once that the sound department uses another license, so you'll have to watch out for that.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about ?

You can earn money with 0AD or 0AD derivatives.

0AD is free software (free-as-in-freedom, aka FLOSS : Free Libre Open-Source Software, aka "full source and data redistributed under a free license", aka "every user has the 4 freedoms on it") and not freeware (proprietary software distributed for free).

0AD is under a copyleft license : you can make a modified version as long as your modified version remains free software, with the 4 freedoms granted to the users.