Easy Mods for dummies

Lion.Kanzen

my question is.

its possibilly use model placed in Atlas to modifiy in Blender for create a "new" building for the game.

and what are the steps to import to atlass and later in game.

in first case a Structure

1. give propieties HP
  2. Units to Train
  3. Assing to the Civilization profile

Second case

a Unit to mod.

i know in Developers section are already a instruction for that but is not clearly for me or for common people.

its posibble upload to thecomunnity an micro tutorial in video, its very simple you only capture a video.

This is far from being easy at this point. If I got my will and everything would be trigger based you could generate own entities at runtime and so in atlas, too, and the needed graphical user interface would be easy to add. But triggers are suspended until part 2 so it will take at least a year until I see such a feature even being considered (But I can be wrong of cause ^^). Until then you can (or have to, depends on your familiarity with code) write your own civs and entities to enable such things.

Edited by FeXoR

Basically there are three steps:

1. Copy a template XML file from a similar building and alter its contents. The templates can be found in /binary/mods/public/simulation/templates. I think the XML files mostly speak for themselves, although you could also use the Actor Editor (but not on OS X). A template file assigns the properties of the entity (e.g., a building or unit), thus what it is and can do.

2. Assign a different actor file/slash copy one and alter it. These are found in /binary/mods/public/actors. These files assign the 3D model, texture(s), animations, and such. In other words, what the entity looks like. Look at other actor files to see how you can accomplish what you want (e.g., attributes).

3. Model a new 3D shape, export it as DAE file, and finally assign this file (put in the right place) in the actor file.

It requires quite a bit of manual work. For example, look at what I did to add an attack capability to Spartan females (the link gives the proposed code changes). Also, you would need to use SVN, as the Alpha releases do not have the original XML files (but rather a pre-processed variant).

I would say, just try and see what happens.

Edited by dvangennip