UI tweaks

zoot

Post your requests/suggestions for changes that will make the user interface more streamlined and enjoyable to use without requiring changes to gameplay.

Here's some of mine:

- Display unmet requirements on technology icon tooltips. (Posted.)

- Display missing population capacity on production queue icon tooltips. (Posted.)

- Show resource icons on tooltips instead of textual names for easier parsing. (As suggested here. Posted.)

- Make 'insufficient resources' figures stand out more, to make them easier to find at a glance.

- Don't show the 'garrisonable' mouse icon on buildings that are already fully garrisoned.

- If building is fully garrisoned and is not at full health, show repair icon instead of garrison icon when setting rally point on it.

- When setting a building's rally point on the building itself, toggle between resetting the rally point and autogarrison.

- When an owned non-idle unit is selected, draw a line and flag to indicate its orders/destination. (As suggested here and here.)

- Allow setting rally points of buildings that are still under construction. (As suggested here.)

- When clicks are directed to a unit silhouette and that unit doesn't support the given action, try passing them to the entity in front of the silhouette instead.

- Relate tips of the day on the loading screen to the map being loaded. (As suggested here.)

- Remember entries like player name in multiplayer setup.

Edited by zoot

I had the exact same thought, but figured it might be a bit over the top visually. How about showing just the 'arrow' icon when hovering around (on terrain etc.), the grey 'arrow-and-door' icon when over a garrisonable building that is full, and the colored 'arrow-and-door' icon over a garrisonable building with spare capacity?

I had the exact same thought, but figured it might be a bit over the top visually. How about showing just the 'arrow' icon when hovering around (on terrain etc.), the grey 'arrow-and-door' icon when over a garrisonable building that is full, and the colored 'arrow-and-door' icon over a garrisonable building with spare capacity?

Could work as well, I just think it might be a bit more obvious what's going on if the icon is always there when you press the Ctrl key or have pressed the GUI button. Not sure how much of an actual issue it would be though as it's very likely that someone would pass the mouse over a garrisonable building pretty quickly after having pressed that button. I don't think it would be over the top as it's just a small icon, so to me it would be worth that extra added guidance for new players :)

What does everyone think about feneur's suggestion/non-commital idea here about letting a unit's stance influence how conservative a route it takes towards its destination? Worth doing?

I think its a great idea, I've noticed that on some maps the ai's female citizens go right into your territory to gather wood, thus making it too easy for you to kill them.

This would prevent that, right??

I think its a great idea, I've noticed that on some maps the ai's female citizens go right into your territory to gather wood, thus making it too easy for you to kill them.

This would prevent that, right??

Not necessarily, that's a separate logic (they pick the tree closest to last one they chopped down). That particular issue should probably be fixed in the bot while human players should be wise enough to keep their workers away from enemy territory.

The issue with the pathfinding, though, is that if you have (manually) tasked your workers to, say, begin chopping down a group of trees you've spotted on the other side of the map, they may decide to take a path right through the enemy's defenses if that path is shorter (distance-wise), with no care for the fact that that will probably get them killed before they even reach the destination.

The problem will be less pronounced when we have 'waypoint lines' showing which path a given unit will take, though.

Edited by zoot

The problem will be less pronounced when we have 'waypoint lines' showing which path a given unit will take, though.

The only thing missing is the visual representation though, just press Shift when giving the move order to set up a path where the units doesn't just take the direct route :) And I personally don't think the game should babysit your units, when you order them to go somewhere it's your responsibility to make sure their path doesn't go through dangerous territory. It's actually another thing when they automatically go somewhere (units gathering searching for the next tree etc for example), so if anything there should be some logic to help in those cases.

The only thing missing is the visual representation though, just press Shift when giving the move order to set up a path where the units doesn't just take the direct route :)

Yeah, but that isn't really helpful for the case where your units seem to be moving in the right direction, but then decide to take a wrong turn into the enemy's base somewhere down the line. But the 'waypoint lines' should help quite a bit with that.