1 suggestion, 1 discussion and many mods.

eduh

After the attempting make-you-click title lets begin with this idea.

Its just that there are like, some mods that people do (like the China one) because they don't ship well with the main idea of how the game should be.

What if, those extra contents are released with the game, but they are not activated, and you need to go to an extras page in the options and settings (which by the way have not been implemented yet right?) that enables to activate them into the game.

This would encourage these mod-maker people to work because they know their work will still be somehow useful and represented.

Instead of filling the release with all sorts of content that depart from the main idea of the game, there could be some kind of 'mod browser' that would contact Wildfire Games servers and get an updated list of available mods. Clicking 'Download' on one of the mods in the browser would then cause the mod to be downloaded and installed.

• Like 1

As I am developing two mods myself at the moment this sounds like music (a bit like Strauss) to my ears.

An easy system to browse & install mods like in wesnoth (and many other games) is a really great way to make mods popular and widespread. I know no one (except myself) who ever installed aoe mods. They didn't have anything like this ... that may have been the reason ...

A danger with this system however is that often the servers get crowded with mods that aren't really worth being called a mod. There should be some kind of quality control in my opinion.

I guess the simplest solution is to use a page on the 0 AD website which lists all known mods in a table, with the latest version of the game known to work (e.g., the Rise of the East mod may no longer work now textures are handled differently). From this page you could link to a mod webpage.

Installation is not too difficult, and handling it automatically may be a bit more involved at this point (no complete, playable mods are available). It would however be nice to simply enable installed mods from without the game, by scanning the /mods/ folder on launching the game.