Battering ram inherits stances

zoot

When you select a group of units including battering rams, you will often be able to set the stance of the whole group (e.g. to "Standground"). However, when you then later select just the battering rams, you will be unable to change their stance again (e.g. to "Aggresive") because they do not have the stance UI.

Edited by zoot

This is a flaw common to all entities that can garrison units.

I'd personally prefer to reduce the maximum displayed garrisoned units to 12 (from 16) and show the stance bar at the bottom. Having over a dozen different kinds of units garrisoned, even across all of your garrisonable entities, is pretty much the definition of 'edge case'.

I suspect several civilizations don't even have 12 different kinds of garrisonable units.

I went ahead and made my proposed change (12 garrison icons plus always-present stance bar).

Most of the diverse civilizations have more than 12 kinds of ship-garrisonable units: 2-3 infantry, female citizen, 1-2 cavalry, 1-2 champions, 1-3 siege units, 1-3 heroes, healers, traders. Puts the lower bound somewhere around ten, I think that's about accurate for Spartans. Carthaginians probably sit somewhere around ~20 due to their special embassies.

I went ahead and made my proposed change (12 garrison icons plus always-present stance bar).

Most of the diverse civilizations have more than 12 kinds of ship-garrisonable units: 2-3 infantry, female citizen, 1-2 cavalry, 1-2 champions, 1-3 siege units, 1-3 heroes, healers, traders. Puts the lower bound somewhere around ten, I think that's about accurate for Spartans. Carthaginians probably sit somewhere around ~20 due to their special embassies.

What happens in the case where the number does exceed 12, though? If a Carthaginian garrisons 20 different units in a ship, will some of the units be 'hidden' in the garrison UI?

What happens in the case where the number does exceed 12, though? If a Carthaginian garrisons 20 different units in a ship, will some of the units be 'hidden' in the garrison UI?

Yes. All the GUI panels clamp to a predefined maximum number of icons. Quite a few of the limits can be reached if you really work at it, e.g. selecting all the Carthaginian unit-producing structures will hit the training panel's limit of 24, and if you select many types of units and buildings you can easily exceed the selection panel's limit of 16.

Yes. All the GUI panels clamp to a predefined maximum number of icons. Quite a few of the limits can be reached if you really work at it, e.g. selecting all the Carthaginian unit-producing structures will hit the training panel's limit of 24, and if you select many types of units and buildings you can easily exceed the selection panel's limit of 16.

Right. I guess the worst thing that can happen is that it comes up during playtesting and someone can complain about it.

Maybe the last icon can be replaced by a question mark and the amount of units of other types that are garrisoned at the moment. That way you can still see that there are more units garrisoned, although you can't see which ones (this might stop some people from complaining, hopefully).

aiming for a fixed maximal number of different units/structures is not the best way: think of capturing buildings and training units from different civs (if thats the way it will be implemented)… then you’ll get that number on top everytime you assimilate another civ.

Maybe the last icon can be replaced by a question mark and the amount of units of other types that are garrisoned at the moment.

when you don’t want to add scrollbars/tabs/whatever to show more than one page, the questionmark(along with a nice tooltip, that maybe even shows the units that are summed up in the '?') should be fine

Edited by luziferius

The original age of empires didn't show the units carried inside a transport.

Age of mythology only showed 8 of the types of units inside (never noticed before)

I'll reinstall aoe2 and 3 to check out how those worked.

Anyway when transporting units you'll probably have lots of the same type in one boat, so a simple and elegant solution should suffice.

Edited by idanwin