Flaming kettles for Greek 'monuments'

azayrahmad

I noticed that some of the civs have monuments that gives units around them bonuses. But if I recall correctly, none of the Greek civs have this monuments. So I think I'll share what's on my mind here.

I don't know how historically accurate is this, but I've seen many hollywood movies around this period use flaming arrows as their weapon. This weapon mainly used for burning buildings. It's less accurate, fired at slower rate, and makes the archers who used them vulnerable.

So it's going to be like this.

Building name: Flaming kettle

Cost: 100 woods (or less, I think)

Building time: 5-10 sec

Hitpoints: 25 (or less) It should be easy to build and easy to destruct.

Effects: Increase crush attack to 30 (crush is for structures, right?), reduce hack armor and attack rate (is this possible?). Only affects soldiers within its range.

It will be best used in sieges, while battering ram destroys the wall, archers could burn some buildings (especially towers) from outside, to ease the siege engines' work.

I know, there will be capture system, but you wouldn't just capture anything, right? Probably useful when destroying resource buildings (mill/ corral) to halt supplies while still in town phase.

Oh and also: how exactly is structure destruction system in 0 AD?

One interesting system was in Starcraft, there is destruction level system. Once a destroyed building reach a specific hitpoints, it will start burning (the fire will appear in the building). When fire appears, the building hitpoints will slowly decrease by itself (simulating building consumed by fire). The lower the hitpoints, the faster the decrease rate. I don't know if this game use the same system, but I think it would be cool.

Ah. Every time I read something about Hellenistic Greeks, they always name archers as cowards. I also never see greek archers either, except the Athenian Marines in pictures.

Perhaps those were Scythian mercenaries? According to WikiPedia the standard recruitment onboard a trireme was 10 hoplite Athenian marines, plus 4 Scythian archers.

I have read flaming arrows were indeed used by such archers on ships, but I am not sure which civilisations did this. Anyway, it happened well before 1 AD, so historically there is no objection to have those in the game. I believe the flaming arrows are actually available in game, but perhaps no unit uses this type of arrow?

Edited by dvangennip

I forgot the fancy name to this, but you could use a piece of wood from a tree that is loaded with sap (like pine wood for instance). When you light it on fire, it burns for a very long time, and you dont need some other expensive ingredient to make a torch with. Like people using strips of their own clothing you see in movies.

I forgot the fancy name to this, but you could use a piece of wood from a tree that is loaded with sap (like pine wood for instance). When you light it on fire, it burns for a very long time, and you dont need some other expensive ingredient to make a torch with. Like people using strips of their own clothing you see in movies.

I believe this would easily snuff out while in flight. Though, I am no expert!

I believe this would easily snuff out while in flight. Though, I am no expert!

You may want to consult with these kids then. lol

But I somewhat agree with you. It depends on the range it was fired, the location, altitude, weather, and wind. People use flaming arrows at night time in movies, because it makes a great cinematic shot.