Suggestion - Food resource split into fodder and meat.

mikeote

Suggestion:

Food resource split into two groups:

1. "Fodder" which includes farms output, foraged berries etc.

2. "Meat" which includes output from killing and gathering sheep / fishing & foraged meat.

Sheep and basic units should cost fodder / wood, advanced units should cost meat / metal.

Best Regards,

Mike

(Edit: I think a forge should be involved some where also, possibly simply as a building which is the drop point for metal. Upgrades to armor / weapons should be available at the forge.)

Edited by mikeote

"I've thought of this as well but I guess it would require too much micromanagement" Personally I'de enjoy the extra level of depth :)

Could simply have options for the building which produces sheep to produce them continuously at different rates: for example one every minute, or 30 seconds or 15 seconds. This is a good idea even for the single food system.

In that case there is one resource that is not modeled at all where is the salt, no salt no food preservation pre refrigeration, is it included with stone if not we need a new tech building salt mine/salt works after all the first thing a Roman commander did after building fortifications(and shelter for the camp followers ) was build a salt works to pay his troops.

Enjoy the Choice :)

Loving the sarcasm Loki ;)

The suggestion wasn't for historical accuracy, it was for (what I view as) improved game play.

It may just be me but I would get satisfaction from growing fodder to feed sheep, killing sheep to get meat to buy better units.

I agree with the underlying point of your sarcasm, having to worry about salt for historical purposes would be annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 4 resources is enough, why not make silver, gold, iron, honey, milk etc?

salt? haha yeah, why not? as buildings also: little gardens etc

I'm just sayin, plz dont do more resources, and I know it wont be done ;-)

Furthermore, there are different types of games: in stronghold you make weapons one by one before you can actually train units: units cost their weapons, and as humans they eat, constantly...

0ad went for AoE style; I still find it annoying, that units have to bring the resources back and can die with 20 wood in their hands.

It's more realistic for sure, but the question is: what gameplay do you want?

go 0AD! :thumbsup: (I loved stronghold btw, good gameplay (the first one))