Art worker, C++ Programmer, 3D designer

For programming we don't use applications. Instead you can just grab the source and start work. Then post patches to trac where they will (eventually) be reviewed and added to the game. Once you have made a few contributions it is normal to be invited to join the team and you get svn commit permission.

I was hoping to be mainly in the art department, with a little programming on the side, as I would presume your algorithms are already pretty efficient, and whats limiting with the lag, is for one, the game runs on your native resolution (putting 1024*1600 pixels of 3D render kills even my vid card), so by default, you could run it as native, bit have it be able to size down a bit, and that would be about all in the programming section, unless I wanted to help work on the multi-threading (read that currently your running on only one thread for the CPU?) the rest, is just making seperate resolution packages for your textures and meshes :) a quick in-out job, hopefully. and a couple questions, all the public files are in a FILETYPE.cached.FILETYPE, whats up with that..? and a .dds texture is unfamilure to me, how can I edit them in gimp?

Edited by WeeveFerrelaine

and a .dds texture is unfamilure to me, how can I edit them in gimp?

There is a plug-in for Gimp that will open and save in the dds format not sure if there is a windows version as normally it's available as source code.The dds format is a compression that load easily into the GPU.

Enjoy the Choice :)

There is a plug-in for Gimp that will open and save in the dds format not sure if there is a windows version as normally it's available as source code.The dds format is a compression that load easily into the GPU.

Enjoy the Choice :)

The game can also read PNG format (preferred for development) with alpha. The game converts the PNGs to DDS at runtime.

I don't have anything on hand except a low poly car and a low poly ship, both with no textures, but I could probably throw something together as an example, what would you like made? and so if the game takes pngs, is there somewhere I can get all the textures in a png format, so I can open them in GIMP for editing? and whats with the .cached file extention? I would have began with the models, but blender dosen't recognize the .cached part..

I don't have anything on hand except a low poly car and a low poly ship, both with no textures, but I could probably throw something together as an example, what would you like made? and so if the game takes pngs, is there somewhere I can get all the textures in a png format, so I can open them in GIMP for editing? and whats with the .cached file extention? I would have began with the models, but blender dosen't recognize the .cached part..

The originals are in SVN, you can browse it online here:

http://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/

It's highly recommended for contributors to use SVN anyway so they're working with the latest development version of the game. If you want to checkout the repo, there are instructions for Windows here: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/TortoiseSVN_Guide