Random Map Script: Sahel Watering Holes

wraitii

Spahbod recently added the Sahel Watering Holes random map. I've tried it and felt it could be improved a bit, so I'm offering a slightly updated version to make it look more like the scenario.

Namely: the rivers are a little less straight, there are animals in the rivers, and generally more, the banks use slightly different textures, more grass patches, no fishes (to change?), and there are gazelles in the center and changes to the sun settings (using the scenario's).

I'm using a new type of painter, so I've linked "painter.js".

It's still not perfect, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Note: this map works much better when it's small. Which makes me think we should allow random maps to be limited to a certain "range" of size: some can perfectly be stretched, it's harder for others (eg Corsica vs Sardinia suffers on "Tiny", while this one gets really ugly when "huge").

post-9128-0-80751700-1341053461_thumb.jp

Map and Library file.zip

Perhaps a Map Script can be allowed to override the default sizes, or we have 3 groups of "sizes" that each script can choose from: Big, Default, Small.

Indeed (y) I've thought about allowing random maps (particularly their JSON file) to override default settings and provide their own new ones, like if you want to adjust a map's ratio of land to water, or tree frequency, etc. In fact it's buried in this ticket's description: http://trac.wildfiregames.com/ticket/812

Technically it's not too much of a challenge.

Bah. I should have looked at the forums. Your improvements are much better than mine and I bet you did it in less time.

Indeed (y) I've thought about allowing random maps (particularly their JSON file) to override default settings and provide their own new ones, like if you want to adjust a map's ratio of land to water, or tree frequency, etc. In fact it's buried in this ticket's description: http://trac.wildfire....com/ticket/812

Technically it's not too much of a challenge.

I may do that after the current gui work.

@Pureon: of course. But sometimes, it's simply too unpractical. On the biggest size, Sahel Watering Holes has absurdly large watering holes. The scenario itself is a very small map.

@Spahbod: Didn't notice the update you did, sorry :) . Still took the better part of my morning. I had trouble figuring out how to paint correctly, because using the clump placer with a layered painter resulted in a "line" either at the end of the PathPlacer or around the clumps.

BTW, I'm going to give a go at "Pyrenean Sierra". I just need to figure a nice way of making mountains.

Edited by wraitii

@wraitii: My update was committed a day after you made this topic. That's why I say you were faster than me.

The problem with that line should be solved using placeTerrainBasedOnHeight() function. I had used it in many occasions with good result. Try archipelago for example.

Yeah, I solved it using a custom function, but it might be redundant (seemed like PlaceTerrainBaseOnHeight was for the whole map, not just the zone concerned here).

placeTerrainBaseOnHeight is for the whole map. But do we have any other "low" terrain here to be concerned about? :)