Crowd-sourced Civ: Mauryan Indians

Mythos_Ruler

Need ship references now. :) We have them spec'd to have the fishing boat, merchant ship, light warship, and medium warship.

This will be hard.. I'll re-post some stuff I've posted.

udpKY.jpg

Sanghamitta.jpg

clip_image006.jpg

Sanghamitra(Ashoka's daughter) goes to Sri Lanka

629px-Indian_ship_on_lead_coin_of_Vashishtiputra_Shri_Pulumavi.jpg

satavana+coin.jpg

A double masted ship, Satavahana era. Not much detail, but it looks like a large/medium sized double masted ship.

http://tech.groups.y...gy/message/3343

20091218262506202.jpg

6270337414_84c1a55ba3_b.jpg

Double masted ships from Javaese reliefs. I believe it's Indian influenced, but it's at a very later era(8th,9th). Could be useful though.

TerracotaPlaque.jpg

Corbis-AW004554.jpg?size=67&uid=fe412d85-f90c-42ca-93ae-1f83bbea0f1e

3650792339_8989e19aea_z.jpg?zz=1

Smaller ships from that era.

p078AncientHinduShip.jpg

indianbt.jpg

^^^

From Ajanta cave

indus-ship-trade.jpg

Rare image of an Indus civ ship

indiaship.gif

More

Edited by lilstewie

http://bharatdiscove...1/15/Lothal.jpg

This photo can become a good reference for ships (@Mythos _Ruler u said this line before :rtfm::yes3: ).That time ocean going ships existed. In literature its given one boat can accommodate 700 passengers. 30 oared, have been built in the Punjab for Alexander’s fleet. In that time quality of ships made in india is better then other countries. Unfortunately the material is meager in the description of ships in details and very rare pictures available.

Pc0320300.jpg

Pc0320400.jpg

The interesting thing about mauryan sea trades:

The early Mauryans were courageous and brave adventurers and during the reign of Eurgetes II (15BC-116BC), a Greek ruler who controlled the areas in the Arabian Gulf, a ship from India was stopped by the coast guard of that kingdom. It had a lone occupant who was half dead. He spoke a strange tongue which they could not understand. He was nursed back to health and taught Greek. He then narrated how he and a group of companions had started off from India, but had lost their course. His companions perished from hunger, and he managed to reach there (Egypt) alone. He proposed a plan by which if they agreed to let him return to his country he would show them the route they could take to reach India by sea. The Greek king sent Eudoxus of Cyzicus along with him. Eudoxus brought back with him many goods like precious stones. There is also another account of how some Indian navigators were blown by storms and eventually reached Germany. It is often said that some of the greatest inventions were accidents, similarly through a series of ventures and a few lucky accidents various sea routes were discovered and sea trade began to take place. The Mauryans soon built ships and hired them out for trade to merchants.

The Mauryas had developed extensive trade relations and dealt with several countries like Syria and Egypt in addition to several others in the West. There were many foreign traders who took up residence in Mauryan cities, so much so that there was a separate committee to look after them. There were a variety of goods being exported and imported. The Mauryan kings used to import wines, figs, clothes and beautiful vessels made out of silver. The Mauryan exports were chiefly items of luxury like fine muslin cloth. The development of trade soon became profitable for the empire and eventually a separate department looked after trade and commerce and ensured that a transparent system was put in place. Standard weights and measures were used and all goods bore the official stamp. Towards the later Mauryan period sea trade began to take place, and there is an interesting story behind it.

Edited by om_rahul

I don't have an issue with making it an ax-wielding unit. Would the unit still be named "Yoddha"? Then would the Maiden Guard be sword-armed or archery-based?

I have no clue about names.

The court-lady type guards were trained to be experts in archery, sword combat, etc, etc.

RJgAC.jpg

Maybe a good image. Not the Mauryan female guards, but females in combat. Reliefs were made close to the Mauryan times.

http://en.wikipedia....handagiri_Caves

Maybe you can arm them with both(sword&bow) like this guy?

Udayagiri_04.jpg

Edited by lilstewie

The Maiden Guards can be primarily archers who can switch to long sword (to give us that Indian long sword we're losing by making the Yoddha an axman).

Hey Mythos. What do you mean by long sword? When I think of broad swords I keep thinking of those really long/massive European swords.

Do you mean some type of older version of the Khanda blade?

s931a.jpg

s211g.jpg

Edited by lilstewie