Modding 's gotta be sooo hard, or not?

idanwin

Hello Everyone,

I've been a big fan of 0ad for about three years now and I'm really glad the game is getting better every week. A week ago, I installed the China mod and that set me thinking: how difficult is it to make your own mod? Back when I played age of empires it seemed about impossible (although that may partly have been because I was younger back then, and barely knew anything about computers, programming or modding) to modify, add or improve things to a game.

With 0A.D. however modding is not difficult at all. I played around a bit with xml files, textures and 3d models and I was surprised to discover that without even having read any posts or manuals about 0AD modding, everything seemed quite clear (as long as I stuck to civs, buildings and units, that is. The AI files were much to complicated for me to understand).

I have never done any serious modelling, so forgive me for my poor tower model. I do not intend to use it for any purpose other than to show people how easy it is to add a new building/unit to the game with the hopes that more experienced modellers will come out of hiding and use their talents to add new things to the world of 0AD.

screenshot0018.png

Edited by idanwin

As I was bored, I played around a bit with blender and made another model. Probably there already is a model for this building (a chinese house) in the rise of the east mod, but as it is not downloadable yet I made my own so I can play with the chinese civ :)

The textures are those from the Rise of the East barracks.

If anyone from the Rise of the East team reads this: You Rock! I can't wait to play your civ!!!

Anyway, here it is:

chin_house_1.png

• 1 year later...