Developer Laptop With Intel Hd Graphics?

Hello there,

I have to buy a new laptop, because my old one doesn't start anymore :sorry:.

Now I am searching for a new one, which is not too expensive and which has to be relativly small (14"...15") to be portable. Except of some other use cases, I want to use this laptop for first steps in development of 0AD. E.g. when I'm sitting in a train, I want to be able to edit some code, compile it and test it.

Most of the affordable and portable laptops have an i3 or i5-Core with about 4GB RAM and an Intel HD- Graphics chip. Before I'm buying such a laptop, I want to ask you, if anyone has experience in working with the i-Core and Intel HD combination? Is the game runnable and testable on this hardware? Playing with eye-candy-graphics is not intended (since I've got a desktop system also), but mobile development is my intention.

Could you recommend the Intel HD or should I search for a laptop with a dedicated graphics card?

Greetings,

Hardy

Edited by Hardy

I don't have an Intel HD graphics chip, but rather than 2010 i3 and i5 I would consider the newer Sandy Bridge i3 and i5 (the 2xxx series): their HD graphics 3000 GPU have far better graphics performance:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/5

The AMD Fusion E-350 also have a nice GPU (faster than Intel HD graphics but slower than the newer HD 2000/3000) but the CPU is a lot slower (Atom like) and not suggested for developing purpose.

I do all my development work on a laptop with Intel GMA 4500MHD (an earlier generation than Intel HD Graphics), on almost Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz (technically a Pentium Dual-Core) and 4GB RAM. I think it was £400 when new, and it seems perfectly adequate. The game usually runs at somewhere around 20-30fps at 1024x768 (windowed) with shadows/fancywater disabled, which is not ideal for smooth playing but is fine for development and testing, and the graphics drivers on Linux seem stable enough (I've not tried running Windows).