Strange Idea

tinoesroho

One thing we have planned is that if you construct a building on uneven terrain, the terrain should get automatically flattened (otherwise the buildings look like they're partly floating, which is silly). But more extensive terrain alteration sounds more complex to do well (we'd probably have to deal with changing terrain textures, and handle units that drown themselves, etc).

Flattening of the terrain is a great idea, and makes sense if you are building on uneven terrain, I guess it's how you go about it, not sure if you remember the Populous game series from years ago, it's a classic game, when you build a hut (or any building for that matter) if the terrain is uneven, the villager/peasant would jump up and down in the spot that needed flattening and the terrain would gradually lower to match the level of the surrounding terrain, was quite a cool thing to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

Flattening of the terrain is a great idea, and makes sense if you are building on uneven terrain, I guess it's how you go about it, not sure if you remember the Populous game series from years ago, it's a classic game, when you build a hut (or any building for that matter) if the terrain is uneven, the villager/peasant would jump up and down in the spot that needed flattening and the terrain would gradually lower to match the level of the surrounding terrain, was quite a cool thing to watch.

The Settlers 3 and 4 games had an own class of workers known as "diggers" which served the purpose of flattening the terrain for the builders. Now, I don't suggest a unit for flattening terrain, but a simple shovel/rake animation or something like that would be good. Jumping up and down to flatten the terrain for a Gymnasion would take nearly the entire game. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Units on walls will be implemented, but probably just stationary units. So no walking on walls etc as it seems like now.

I believe this game is more similar to AOE and Empire Earth but I think it might be quite nice to see the wall system of Stronghold instead. (Modified to fit the style of 0AD of course)

?Basically you would plant walls on the ground. After that you would select a wall, select stairs and select the side of the wall where you wish to have the stairs. Also gates could be made the same way.

Stairs would be used to let units walk on walls and the tower-like things inbetween walls can be built to support Catapults, towers etc.

I think this may be way more interesting than a wall you can garrison where you see units automatically walk from one point to another defending it. If there is such detail added in a game it may serve a better strategic purpose.

Also this would give "Siege towers" a better purpose than it was in other games such as AOM. In 0AD it would actually be used to put your men onto a wall and not to "shoot" buildings. Ladders could be used too with a big downside that they are easily killed by archers.

Also making the wall system more detailed, castles may be built more in people their own style instead having a building called castle to serve that purpose.

Walls won't make you impossible to beat though since you can make siege units to destroy them utterly, neither can archers kill everything ;)

Edited by Yihka