Jump to content

Civ: Palmyrenes


Recommended Posts

On 28/09/2026 at 8:38 PM, Thalatta said:

Well these are the most interesting.

The first are, from left to right, Athena, Hera, Aphrodite, Paris (with a Phrygian hat) and Hermes (with the Caduceus, or staff of Hermes, which many pharmacists use instead of the Rod of Asclepius as their symbol, tragicomically indicating commerce instead of medicine). The orb in that case is just the golden apple he gives to Aphrodite to declare her the fairest goddess (she promised him the most beautiful mortal, and we all know how that ended).

The second is Mithras grabbing Helios crown. Both are solar deities, Mithras coming from the East, and I don't know much about this situation in particular, but it does seem like he's taking rulership over the Sun. Apparently this image comes from a Mithraeum, underground temples dedicated to him (I remember seeing at least one, in Ostia Antica). In principle everything was chill between these deities after that, somehow.

They are seen interacting with the moon god in some reliefs.

With the jars I try to imitate colors and artistic style.

a.jpg.b506a581fd959e326c9c5876fb507901.jpg.82bc2158bc72a618580b7ee5e7c2cbd9.jpg

I really like this one.

What colors did they paint with? There wasn't a way to make many colors back then.

Egyptian blue, for example, I understand was lost, I don't know how many centuries ago.

https://historia.nationalgeographic.com.es/antiguo-egipto/cientificos-recrean-pigmento-azul-egipcio-hace-5000-anos_23801

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...