New member, some code possibly

Hi all

My names Chris, been programming since the 1980's, also have a love of history (not in academia, but I have read at least 150 books about the Roman Empire).

Anyhow, I'm looking at contributing towards the code - Javascript that is - in some way. At the moment 0ad crashes for me (in Ubuntu 10.04) with a gfx driver bug (it's a known issue with my kernel), but as soon as that's sorted out I'll hopefully send in a patch or 2 for some of the easy to fix bugs.

Hope to get to know some you better - from what I've seen, it looks like you might have a good game in the making!

Hi Chris. Welcome to forums.

If you mean the bug discussed here, it should be fixed by this drivers.

No - another bug, due to Radeon drivers. Had to upgrade the kernel to fix this one. Now I have the game running but it runs amazingly slowly (takes 2 seconds to update my mouse position, for example). So something is still not quite right :)

maximinus-thrax, make sure you compiled in Release mode (not debug) and also disable water reflections and shadow, to see if that helps.

If not, you've got the same issue I did when I was using linux. Spent weeks trying to get it working. Eventually gave up and went and bought a Windows 7 Laptop :-P (which runs it really smoothly)

maximinus-thrax, make sure you compiled in Release mode (not debug) and also disable water reflections and shadow, to see if that helps.

If not, you've got the same issue I did when I was using linux. Spent weeks trying to get it working. Eventually gave up and went and bought a Windows 7 Laptop :-P (which runs it really smoothly)

It runs fine (80 FPS or so) when I turn off shadows, but is a dog (0.25 FPS) when I turn on shadows :)

However, I can now actually run the code, so first thing to do tonight when I get home will be to try and play the game, or at least play with what is written right now.

I want to, eventually, put some effort into the AI code (or, that is, maybe START the AI code). Given that, can anyone give me some history and / or information that might help me before I start to delve into the codebase? Are their specific files that I should look into to start with? Is there any base AI code at all?

There is a basic unit AI that controls things like attacking nearby units, etc. but that is all. It can be found here on Windows: C:\0ad\binaries\data\mods\public\simulation\components\UnitAI.JS

There is no player AI yet, nor any foundations for one. That all needs to be added. :)

Thanks, I will look into it tonight. Any comments or ideas I have I will start in another thread.