Need help installing libtxc_dxtn

Tried to install 0 A.D. on Ubuntu on another laptop.

Got an error message pointing to CompressedTextures. Needless to say, performance is laggy in the extreme.

I downloaded the tar.gz. and extracted, then tried to install with sudo make install and got this:

cc -Wall -pedantic -fPIC -O3 -c -o txc_compress_dxtn.o txc_compress_dxtn.c
In file included from txc_compress_dxtn.c:27:
txc_dxtn.h:25: fatal error: GL/gl.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [txc_compress_dxtn.o] Error 1

A friend said I'm missing a header that belongs to "mesa", but I have a hard time installing anything that's not just a click through the software center. Can anyone walk me through installing this?

Also I was told that installing mesa will impair performance anyway, is this true?

I had a similar issue with Ubuntu and a fairly powerful computer. ~2.8 ghz processor, 2GB of ram should have been more than enough to at least load the menu, but even the menu was slow. I'd move my mouse and it would only update every second or so.

I finally gave up, and bought Windows 7 :-P

I had a similar issue with Ubuntu and a fairly powerful computer. ~2.8 ghz processor, 2GB of ram should have been more than enough to at least load the menu, but even the menu was slow. I'd move my mouse and it would only update every second or so.

Can you also post your glxinfo output?

You should also add "fancywater=false" into the local.cfg file (just in case it's managing to use that mode), and maybe experiment with reducing the resolution (put "xres=320" and "yres=200" or whatever resolution you want), and you could also try "renderpath=fixed" and see whether that makes any difference. I used an Intel 945G some years ago and I think it's always going to be quite slow, though :ok: