"Loading map data. Please wait" on single-player matches

alindley

I have played this game for a long time, and for the first time tried a regicide match. Immediately after, I went to start a single-player game and got "Loading map data. Please wait." Doesn't resolve after more than an hour.

Deleted and reinstalled the game and seeing the same problem. I saw some advice to delete the matchsettings.json, but I cannot find this anywhere. I'm on a Mac.

Any insights much appreciated!

This sounds like the regicide + garrison hero infinite loop. If that's the case, it may be fixed by getting the community mod in the mod downloader, but you could also turn off the garrison option in match setup.

On 03/11/2023 at 9:10 PM, Norse_Harold said:

I don't think that community-mod completely fixes the problem. It does prevent the problem from happening again after it's fixed, but it doesn't correct a flawed matchsettings.mp.json file.

Any person with the problem with infinite loop during map generation (caused by hero garrison plus regicide mode being enable), or maybe only the person who hosts, needs to follow the workaround steps in comment 3 of the bug report linked here in order to remove a flawed matchsettings.mp.json file.

Also, don't assume that every problem when connecting is caused by the hero garrison+regicide bug. Please tell us more information about the symptoms, especially a screenshot of the hoster's screen or logs from the hoster. Does the problem happen regardless of who hosts?

Without knowing more information about the symptoms, such as specific error messages, I can only guess what other causes of those symptoms would be. One idea is networking problems. If it is actually caused by networking problems then read the FAQ answer about the UDP port 20595 error.

@Norse_Harold is more familiar.

20 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

, but you could also turn off the garrison option in match setup.

You can't since you cannot reach that screen. You can disable persistent match settings or delete the matchsettings file too. i wonder if enabling a mod might work too