Failed to install Chinese language mod for games in the Armbian system.

Laythe206

ERROR: Failed to query SDL WM info: That operation is not supported
ERROR: Unable to create device for GL backend, switching to ARB.
ERROR: SetVideoMode failed in backend device creation: 1024x768:24 1
ERROR: Can't create cursor: Cursors are not currently supported

Mods work fine in the x86 Debian system, but they don't work in Armbian.

2 minutes ago, Laythe206 said:

Mods work fine in the x86 Debian system, but they don't work in Armbian.

0ad version:0.0.26

mod version:0.0.26

Armbian version:bookworm

We need more information in order to help. Can you provide steps to reproduce the problem? Have you tested disabling the mod and seeing whether the game still starts in Armbian? You can disable the mod by editing config/user.cfg and changing the mod.enabledmods line to

mod.enabledmods = "mod public"

I think that it's unlikely that the Chinese language mod would cause this problem. How did you install the Chinese language mod on your Armbian system? Did you copy your 0ad user data folder (including user.cfg file) from your x86 Debian system to your Armbian system? If so, that could explain the problem, and I would expect that the problem would persist even after disabling the Chinese language mod. In that case, you should backup and remove user.cfg on the Armbian system so that it can be recreated from defaults.

Otherwise, we need logs and steps to reproduce. Does the game work if you reinstall it and have a default configuration with no mods on Armbian?

Edited by Norse_Harold

10 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

We need more information in order to help. Can you provide steps to reproduce the problem? Have you tested disabling the mod and seeing whether the game still starts in Armbian? You can disable the mod by editing config/user.cfg and changing the mod.enabledmods line to

I think that it's unlikely that the Chinese language mod would cause this problem. How did you install the Chinese language mod on your Armbian system? Did you copy your 0ad user data folder (including user.cfg file) from your x86 Debian system to your Armbian system? If so, that could explain the problem, and I would expect that the problem would persist even after disabling the Chinese language mod. In that case, you should backup and remove user.cfg on the Armbian system so that it can be recreated from defaults.

Otherwise, we need logs and steps to reproduce. Does the game work if you reinstall it and have a default configuration with no mods on Armbian?

I simply used the 'apt' command to install the game, it launches correctly, and I haven't copied any user data folder. I used the 'cd' command to navigate to the folder where the mod is located, then I used the 'pyrogenesis zh-lang-0.0.26.pyromod' command to install the mod, and that's when the system displayed the error message. I used the same method in the x86 Debian system, and it worked fine, and the game mod was successfully loaded.

Edited by Laythe206
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update. That's a minimal description of steps to reproduce. It might be relevant what hardware you're using with Armbian.

I suggest trying to disable the Chinese Language mod on the Armbian system (by editing user.cfg directly, as I explained in my earlier post in this thread) and seeing whether the game successfully starts. If it doesn't then maybe something else was changed along the way. In fact, starting and stopping the game may write a config file that causes the game to no longer start in case there's a bug with mobile device compatibility, such as window or screen size configuration, rendering settings, etc.

Another step that may be necessary for disabling the Chinese language mod on the Armbian system is to change the language in user.cfg. Find the line "locale = zh_CN" and either remove that line or change it to the following.

locale = en_US

If that isn't enough help then please consider attaching logs in order to help with the troubleshooting process.

Edited by Norse_Harold

1 hour ago, Norse_Harold said:

Thanks for the update. That's a minimal description of steps to reproduce. it might be relevant what hardware you're using with Armbian.

I suggest trying to disable the Chinese Language mod on the Armbian system (by editing user.cfg directly) and seeing whether the game successfully starts. If it doesn't then maybe something else was changed along the way. In fact, starting and stopping the game may write a config file that causes the game to no longer start in case there's a bug with mobile device compatibility, such as window or screen size configuration, rendering settings, etc.

Another step that may be necessary for disabling the Chinese language mod on the Armbian system is to change the language in user.cfg. Find the line "locale = zh_CN" and either remove that line or change it to the following.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The game always starts normally, regardless of whether the Chinese mod is installed. However, when attempting to install the Chinese mod, an error message is displayed, and there is no Chinese mod option available in the game, that means the Chinese mod was not installed successfully, correct? Also, I would like to provide the log files for analysis, but I'm not very familiar with Linux systems. Where can I find the game log files typically?

Edited by Laythe206

On 21/01/2024 at 3:04 AM, Laythe206 said:

This error should have nothing to do with the mod or installing it, isn't fatal but would be nice to sort out as it prevents you from using a decent graphics backend but let's focus on the main issue going by topic.

Can you install other mods this way?

Are you able to download and install the mod via mod.io and just not via terminal install?

What happens if you rename the zh-lang-0.0.26.pyromod to zh-lang.zip and place it in your mods folder and restart the game?

https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths lists the various default paths. Also the game logs to stdout, if an error message can't be seen there you won't find it in log files either.

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

isn't fatal but would be nice to sort out as

It seems kind of fatal, as SDL can't figure out the WM backend and setup cursors. We can workaround it but in theory it might lead to UB.

2 hours ago, hyperion said:

it prevents you from using a decent graphics backend

Not only decent but also the lowest one.

Logs indeed could give us some information. Also knowing WM could help (type "echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE" in the console).

2 hours ago, vladislavbelov said:

It seems kind of fatal, as SDL can't figure out the WM backend and setup cursors. We can workaround it but in theory it might lead to UB.

4 hours ago, hyperion said:

Maybe the OP should clarify if they can run 0ad at all without trying to install a mod but as I read between the lines they can. If this shall be considered fatal then and error should be thrown for arb and a message stating "no graphics backend could be initialized, shutting down ..." should be printed.