Beginner help

_chocolate

Hi guys,

Im new to the game and I wanted to learn more about certain tactics/build orders for civs. I have like 10/15 hours and I win consistantly against normal bot, but i suck when i play online(every time enemy has much better econ and scouting), so i would like to hear some tips/strategies for this game.

FYI i know bout economy and i use some hotkeys so im not a total noob

All help appreciated :)

@_chocolate welcome to the forums!

Did you notice the units have different gather rates? Put women on food & wood, CS (citizen soldiers) on wood & minerals. Don't forget the gathering tecs. Also don't forget your forge upgrades (and possibly will to fight); they make a large difference.

There's actually a lot of guides out there, both in written and on youtube. HTH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gurken Khan said:

@_chocolate welcome to the forums!

Did you notice the units have different gather rates? Put women on food & wood, CS (citizen soldiers) on wood & minerals. Don't forget the gathering tecs. Also don't forget your forge upgrades (and possibly will to fight); they make a large difference.

There's actually a lot of guides out there, both in written and on youtube. HTH

I know about upgrades and gathering stuff, but I get lost as the game goes on. I'm playing as the Britons and want to learn good strategies for them or any other civ. I found some old strategies on forums, but they're more than five years old. I'm not sure if they still work because the game has had updates since then.

Maybe send replay /replays so people give advice?

What Rating you play against? For lower level strat is:

macro perfectly > make pop cap before opponent > attack > gg 

(macro is good if you have pop 100 on min 7:30 and don't float or stale resources/houses)

Trust me, RTSes are more simple then it looks - it's how it works in most of RTSes on lower levels. :) 

On higher level you will need timely tech, upgrades, heroes, take map control, use Catas, etc.

Sources for eco guides:

ValihrAnt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvWViu4W_8 
Weirdjokes/0AD Newbie Rush:
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB404qwQz0I

Edited by BeTe

P.S.

a  bit more on macro...

Produce 50-60 womens, 10-12 farms, make 1:1 or 1:2 ratio of melee:ranged units. Before attack make sure you split womens on food and wood (for example 1:1 for Britons), make ~10 barracks and hotkey them so you can re-produce army quickly.

After/durring attack or a little before you can eventually go P2, make 2 forges and market  so you can go p3, make upgrades and buy needed resources for P3 stuff. Eventually temple and healers. But this will require some iron miners, too.

After that, things on P3 are a bit more complex, but i guess it'd be already gg on most of lower level games if your macro timings are perfect.

You can actually have training against Bot. Just make sure you are consistent with timings which you can compare with ones from posted Youtube videos.

@_chocolate

Edited by BeTe