Managing Flatpak

LienRag

I used Flatpak to be able to test a24 on an OpenSuse Leap, but I don't need it anymore since I was finally able to test a25 through backports on another computer with Debian.

Problem is, I don't have enough room on / to upgrade to the last Leap version, and checking the filesystem tells me that /var/Flatpak takes 4 Go, including 3 Go in /var/flatpak/repo in folders with non-recognizable names.

When doing a flatpak list, all I get it this :

zeroad translations                                     com.play0ad.zeroad.Locale                                   stable       flathub              system
Lagrange                                                fi.skyjake.Lagrange                         1.2.2           stable       flathub              system
Freedesktop.org Application Platform version 1.6        org.freedesktop.Platform                    1.6             1.6          flathub              system
Freedesktop Platform                                    org.freedesktop.Platform                    20.08.6         20.08        flathub              system
Freedesktop Platform                                    org.freedesktop.Platform                    21.08.14        21.08        flathub              system
Mesa                                                    org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default         21.3.8          21.08        flathub              system
Intel VAAPI Driver                                      org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                        1.6          flathub              system
Intel                                                   org.freedesktop.Platform.VAAPI.Intel                        21.08        flathub              system
FFmpeg extension                                        org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg                             1.6          flathub              system
openh264                                                org.freedesktop.Platform.openh264           2.1.0           2.0          flathub              system
La Bataille pour Wesnoth                                org.wesnoth.Wesnoth                                         master       wesnoth-origin       system
La Bataille pour Wesnoth                                org.wesnoth.Wesnoth                         1.16.5          stable       flathub              system

Except Wesnoth (which I would like to keep in order to not lose all the add-ons I downloaded), what is there should not take 4 Go of disk space.

Am I wrong to believe that 0ad was not successfully removed from my disk ?

What to do to remove it entirely ?

It looks like one Flatpak app related to 0ad was not successfully removed, "com.play0ad.zeroad.Locale". But, that only uses 114 bytes.

If you think that some of the objects didn't get removed correctly during uninstallation of 0ad flatpak apps, you can try to repair the flatpak repo with this command as root (or with sudo). Based on this bug report, it should clear objects that don't belong there.

flatpak repair

As far as what's using 4 GB, note that 1.6 GB of it is likely due to the apps in a default Flatpak system that has Xorg and nothing else. Specifically, org.freedesktop.Platform, freedesktop.Platform.GL.default. Wesnoth uses 475 MB.

It looks like you have three copies of the freedesktop platform. You also have Lagrange, Intel drivers, ffmpeg and openh264. There is a possibility that all of that adds up to the 3 GB in use in /var/lib/flatpak.

Here are other ideas for freeing storage space.

Check for per-user installed flatpak apps with the following command.

(sign in as a user that might have 0ad installed)

flatpak -u list

Also run apt-get clean as root. That removes archived package installation files.

Edited by Norse_Harold

17 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

It looks like one Flatpak app related to 0ad was not successfully removed, "com.play0ad.zeroad.Locale". But, that only uses 114 bytes.

If you think that some of the objects didn't get removed correctly during uninstallation of 0ad flatpak apps, you can try to repair the flatpak repo with this command as root (or with sudo). Based on this bug report, it should clear objects that don't belong there.

flatpak repair

Thanks, I didn't know this command.

Didn't seem to do anything in my situation, though - I still have / used at 97%.

Also, AFAIK I did a zypper remove of 0ad (and 0ad doesn't appear in the menu) but when trying again an upgrade it stills download 1 Go of 0ad, which may explain why it tells me that the total download is 5 Go.

19 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

You also have Lagrange, Intel drivers, ffmpeg and openh264. There is a possibility that all of that adds up to the 3 GB in use in /var/lib/flatpak.

I don't think so, Lagrange is very lightweight and I believe the others to be too.

18 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

It looks like you have three copies of the freedesktop platform.

I do. What are they ? I didn't install them (I mean, not directly of voluntarily).

Do I need them ? Can I reduce the number of copies ? How ?

Here are other ideas for freeing storage space.

Check for per-user installed flatpak apps with the following command.

(sign in as a user that might have 0ad installed)

flatpak -u list

I get "error : unknown option -u".

Also run apt-get clean as root. That removes archived package installation files.

apt-get is specific to Debian (and derivatives), it doesn't work on OpenSuse.

And from what I checked, there's no equivalent with zypper, one has to remove packages one by one from their names.