Atlas Slow?

wowgetoffyourcellphone

Terrain updates being slower is caused by the new pathfinder. The new pathfinder does more pre-computations for the things that are rather static (so certainly for the terrain profile, but also the building/resource obstructions). This causes pathfinding itself to be faster, but when these static things do change (which is what happens in Atlas), it causes a slowdown.

The ideal solution would be to not process the pathfinding calculations until the simulation is started in Atlas (or until you request the passability overlay). But this is not yet done as trompetin17 is working on a new Atlas UI, which would alter the communication between Atlas and the simulation (so affect how Atlas can stop passability computations).

However, for some reason, I also find Atlas rather slow when doing other actions (like just panning and zooming). While those actions are not too slow in the main game.

• Like 3

Thanks for the explanations. It is heartwarming to know that the issue is aware.

I agree that the best solution would to turn off pathfinder unless overlay or simulation started. Is trompetin17 still working on Atlas or is stalled?

I also agree other action are slow too for some reason. Pasting objects and moving them = super super lag. But my main problem is terrain update, like trying to raise and lower terrain. Almost make me want to wait for trompetin17's improvement before I bother working in Atlas anymore.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanderd17 said:

Trompetin17 is still working on atlas, albeit slowly. But it's almost finished, and is planned to be one of the first things to commit after the release (so we get enough time to test it for the next release)

New UI changes take some time to get used to as well, but I think many have excitement for something new.