===[COMMITTED]=== Mauryan Merchant Ship

Enrique

Blocking it out at the moment so still a couple of areas that need to be optimized but suggestions / ideas welcome :)

I was thinking more barrells / crates etc to denote trading.

Sails?

Will oar ends be visible above water ? / animated ?

post-15180-0-87760500-1359746144_thumb.j

Edited by paperkat
  • Like 1

Niice! :) I like the direction so far!

Yes, you should fill it with crates, barrels, baskets, that kind of stuff.

Maybe one sail on the big mast and a triangular small sail on the little mast?

The oars will be probably animated, so they should be long enough to get under the water plane.

Nice work so far ;)

Aha ok I will try and tone it down a bit in that case and bear that in mind when texturing. I did wonder what exactly was in that crate they had there! :D

The crate is probably filled with goods and stuff as a gift for the Sri Lankans.

HFzAL.jpg

You can see the Sri Lankan holding the tree sapling to the head on the right.

Edited by lilstewie

Niice! :) I like the direction so far!

Yes, you should fill it with crates, barrels, baskets, that kind of stuff.

Maybe one sail on the big mast and a triangular small sail on the little mast?

The oars will be probably animated, so they should be long enough to get under the water plane.

Nice work so far ;)

I think you should research the kind of sails they use before you turn it into a 18th century sloop.

Ok! Made a couple of changes, added sails - 1 triangular and 1 rectangle :P and barrels n crates.

At the moment a little above the polycount at 1710 tris. I'm using Maya but have Max as well (never use it!), if I were to fill out the model with barrels and crates etc using the propping plugin would this add to the main polycount? I think it needs a bit more 'clutter' personally so if I can reduce the polycount this way it would go a long way to help.

What do you think? :)

post-15180-0-11609900-1359815075_thumb.j

post-15180-0-80003000-1359815075_thumb.j

• Like 1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateen

Further inquiries into the appearance of the lateen rig in the Indian Ocean and its gulfs show a complete reversal of earlier scholarly opinion on the direction of diffusion, now pointing to an introduction byPortuguese sailors in the wake of Vasco da Gama's arrival in India in 1500.[24] Searches for lateen sails in India were inconclusive.[25] Since lateen sails were absent from Indian inland waters, that is, in regions remote from foreign influences, as late as the mid-20th century, the hypothesis of an Indian origin appears a priori implausible.[26] The earliest evidence for the lateen in Islamic art occurs in a 13th-century Egyptian artifact which, however, is assumed to show a Mediterranean vessel.[27] Excavated depictions of Muslim vessels along the Eastern African coast uniformly show square sails before 1500.[28]

1. The Square Sail

The square sail was employed almost universally in the ancient world. It was only during the early Byzantine period in the eastern Mediterranean that any evidence emerges that triangular sails began to appear on the Mediterranean Sea. The square sail, though stable on heavy seas, is not very versatile to make much use of any headwinds. Square sails were still used until very recently on the sewn sambugs of Aden as well as lateen sails.

http://nabataea.net/sailing.html

In India square sails are depicted on coins of the Pallava dynasty (coeval with the Sassanids) and in the Ajanta ship of the seventh century AD.) (Elliot, W., Coins of Southern India, London 1885) An indication that lateens are not native to India is found in their absence today in inland water regions remote from foreign influences.
Edited by lilstewie

Ok! Been nusy with work lately but i'm back again! :)

I've made a couple of changes to the sails, rigging and goods.Tell me what you think!

The triangle count so far is 1248 without goods and 1928 with. This bothers me a bit. Should I try the propping plugin? Please advise me on this.

post-15180-0-21560700-1360325322_thumb.j

post-15180-0-71993700-1360325321_thumb.j

Thanks for your honest feedback btw! :)

• Like 1

Looking awesome so far!

Honestly, I like how "busy" and full of things it looks with so many props. I'd say adding some barrels and removing those circular baskets (they'll have probably the same polycount)

It's a good thing you try propping with "helpers/empties" (don't know how they're called in Maya :P) so you can learn how to add them:

-Place the empty/helper on the center/origin of the barrel/prop, parent the prop to the empty and rotate/move the empty where you want to place it on the ship.

-Name the empties/helpers like "prop_barrel1, prop_crate1..." so we can know which prop they're referencing.

-Before exporting the ship, remove the props meshes and leave the empties, and parent them to the main ship, exporting the ship with all selected.

Here's the public repo where you can find a lot of props already in-game: http://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/binaries/data/mods/public/art/meshes/props/

You can use barrels (wrld_barrel_a.dae) baskets (wrld_basket_a/b/c..) sacks (wrld_sack.dae and wrld_sack_rough.dae), crates (wrld_crate_a.dae) etc and you don't have to worry about texture them.

Can't wait to see it textured :P