Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wraitii

Random Map Script: Oasis

22 posts in this topic

I was really bored of testing my AI on the scenario Oasis, so I figured I'd create a random map... After two days of fiddling around, basing myself on the lake map, I have a result I am satisfied with.

Requires the PathPlacer, so likely the SVN version of the folder "map".

Old screenshots:

0X96Ts.jpg UxYxVs.png

New screenshots:

qZbMSs.jpg

oasis.zip

Edited by wraitii

Playing it a bit... It lacks resources a little, I'll improve that.

Many thanks to you wraitii, your map is very beauty with sand into the oasis.

Good job !

Nice one although it is not very playable. Maybe add a small spring near each player for more wood? Also the terrain could use more "dune" textures. Maybe add some roads as we now have paths?

This version should be better, I've given more starting resources and more maps. Though I think on Oasis part of the fun is that wood must be collected from the oasis, so the amount is still not huge. Also, more mines.

Download Link

(screenshot updated in the first post, showing me, not doing anything, the AI Marilyn, absent-mindedly surrounding a mine with houses, and qBot, plotting to win the game.

Better. Maybe you can create tiny oases near players so that those forests would look more real. It is going to be a hard map. Add some extra dirt/dune terrain in batches like in most maps.

Is there any way to detect the AI level? Perhaps using that I could give more/less wood.

I'll try to implement your suggestions.

Desert maps should probably have a color scheme like this:

Pahvn.png

The standard settings blow out the sand textures (too bright). The settings I show there are nearly perfect and are what I generally use for the custom scenarios I make for the game. The blue terrain ambient helps cut the beige sun color just right. My favorite sky set right now is "cumulus."

I recommend mixing the sand textures more, and also clustering animals in and near the central oasis. Watch the oasis too, it looks like trees and animals are being seeded into the water. :) Check out the Oasis custom maps in Atlas. There are some design tricks in those maps that if you can replicate what I've done there, will make your random map script look Hella awesome. And of course, you should experiment with your own design ideas of course. :)

Okay, I did a few updates and used a little bit of "rule of cool" for a sunset effect, which I can backtrack depending on your opinion... New screenshots (click to enlarge):

Added water patches to explain the forest, added sand blows on top of hills. More wood in the oasis.

0X96Ts.jpg UxYxVs.png

Download Link

Edited by wraitii

Much better now. I like the new terrain texture integration and the hills. Also you can place wet sands in and around waters.

Yes, I should likely try to add that. I forgot to talk about the "animals and trees spawning in water" issue. I think it's not so bad: they're spawned in accessible areas, and it looks quite cool I think.

Added beautification: lilies and reeds near the shores, small rocks. Also made the sand wet around the "starting water holes near the forests", but no on the oasis (possible, but I'm not sure it's interesting).

Download link

One area of improvement is to look at why trees get placed in the middle of mines. It causes problems when building a Mill and the units can't get to the tree.

Updated version

This should fix trees from spawning into mines, and should also make the trees be spawned a bit less into the water.

BTW, since this has been added to SVN at some point... Is there anything from the previous remarks that still needs changing?

BTW, since this has been added to SVN at some point... Is there anything from the previous remarks that still needs changing?

I still think the sun angle and ambient colors could use some work.

Can do... In what way?

More along the lines of the "Oasis" scenarios. Perhaps add a lighting variation based on the "Oasis Gold" scenario's lighting.

Allright, so following your advice I changed the lighting... Tell me how you feel about it.

I've also touched up a few things: made the water more murky, added small variations in the ground texture (patches here and there), added more flora to the passage through the oasis, and fixed a bug with chicken spawning (theoretically).

The download link is attached to the first post.

qZbMSs.jpg

Looking really good in the screenshot - I'll try it out in-game when I get home tonight.

Is it possible to have a variation (in the same RMS) without the crossing in the middle of the oasis? (I don't like it in the scenario maps either, so it's not something you've done wrong ;) )

It's very possible, and in fact very easy: just search for

log ("creating path through");

And change the line

if (mapSize > 150) {

to anything that's false, such as (1==0). Boom.

It's very possible, and in fact very easy

Thanks :) What's very easy for some people is completely alien to me!