Some confusion about the beta date at WL (warlord)

Argalius

We all thought the beta was said for this year's Christmas 2004. But yesterday I found this: (it's from the FAQ)

* When will 0 A.D. be released?

We plan to reach beta by December 2005. The release of the game after that will be determined by feedback from quality-assurance testing and how much time we want to spend perfecting the balancing of the civs. Current estimated release date is late 2006.

But Zezar was almost 100% convinced that it was this year.

I am totally sure they mean this Christmas. But as they said, they are a little behind now, and therefor will release betas later

And as said before we all thougt it was for this year but the FAQ says something different. So what is it?

Hmm, which is more likely to have an accurate awareness of the internal development state? ZeZar, or the official FAQ? *ponders* :(

Though we've made tons of progress in the past year, I can categorically declare that the game is not at a state where it could be released as an open beta in a month's time.

Beta, by the way, in case there's confusion, means that the product is totally feature and content complete, and just in need of thorough user testing prior to release (which itself is likely to take a year, including the internal staff beta).

I think, however, that the quoted thread referred to earlier milestones in the development schedule, not the beta milestone, which might explain the inconsistency. But yes, the *speculative* release date mentioned in the FAQ has also been pushed forward in recent months, having had the opportunity to assess our rate of progress during the last year of implementation.

Sorry, chaps. The FAQ's preliminary date is more feasible, but we'll have to see when we get there.