Now that formations became default, easier and more usable, manualy placing your units in proper positions lost benefit

(i like the new formations update but theres something i dont like about them as well)

all you have to do now is to select all units and they will take formation and even put tanky units at the front automatically

so a person who used to do this manually (eg used to put infantry to the front and skirmishers to the back), are now losing benefit of doing so manually, and theyre even losing time they spend on it, for no benefit.

i no longer get positioning benefit from placing my units manually during battle (and before battle) . and positioning in battle is very important, maybe shouldnt be done 100% automatically

now all that is done automatically and puts tanks at front.

so not only the efficiency difference between mediium player and new player is decreased (where before the new player would get obliterated without placing his units in proper order and positions manually)

but also it feels like important aspect was taken from 0AD. battle dps and result significantly depended on unit order. now all that is entrusted to automated mechanism, i no longer get satisfaction from doing it manually

summary:
- gap between medium and new player decreased a lot

you lose satifaction from placing your units manually
- battle doesnt require positioning skills anymore, so your role as a strategist will be smaller

Edited by thankforpieOfficial
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thankforpieOfficial said:

now all that is done automatically and puts tanks at front.

Honestly that was always possible previously with one extra click by simply clicking the close order formation button. Nothing about the formation or the way it organizes troops by type has changed between A23 and A24. 1 click was removed from the equation. 

You still benefit more if you use the extra effort to use control groups and separate formations of troops and positioning them and all that. I myself have been experimenting a lot with the right-click drag positioning feature (funneling enemy attackers to the center, arraying ranged troops to the rear, properly spacing cavalry flanking maneuvers so that they spread their attacks more efficiently across the desired target units, etc.).

• Like 2