Camping with grouped units

thankforpie

I noticed selecting all your soldier units and sending them to where enemy is, is more than risky and most of the times will fail unless:

- hes not camping with grouped units

- you have really really big advantage in units amount/power

If he has them grouped, usually theres at least 50 ranged units but sometimes also theres 125 ranged units grouped in one place (and that happens on 200 pop max so imagine what would be in 300 pop max game) + some melee units.

What happens when u just send your army there is that they will go 1 by 1 unless u set formation and thats how i won few times against better players and thats also how most of the times i lose vs someone :D

Basically, player1 archers need to be grouped, and they will kill at least 20% of incoming units of player2 before player2 starts attacking. if player2 units go one by one player1 units might as well kill all of player2 units because player2 units were firing when player1 was still coming.

I noticed this is a trend. You set box formation on archers, then provoke enemy to come there, either with few units going in and out of front field, or with long bow archers, or with building something valuable like militar colony or barracks or fortress (or tower). that more than likely will provoke him to send all his units into your archers....

And he will die.  Only thing that can save him is formation (but even then its not perfect, because you are standing, and hes moving, so you are shooting, and he is not).

if there are trees or obstacles his formation setting may even slow him down (soemtimes formations have troubles getting through obstacles and they keep reformating themselves wasting time walking around in one place trying to find a way to pass the obstacles while in formation, while enemy is shooting at you lol)

So I wanted to hear what are your opinions towards this kind of playing (camping with grouped archers/ranged units) and also how to effectively go in vs such dangerous archers group (or how to effectively camp). Not everyone has siege towers to defend himself from the early dmg :P.

basically skirmishers,javelins,archers and slingers can do that, when you just send your units without formation they will die before they reach enemy. formation is good against that but i feel its not enough and the one who stays in one place always wins lol

Edited by thankforpie
  • Like 1

Well, in truth it's not so difficult to counter a mass archer:

•  You can for example send 3-4 catapults to kill them all without lose any unit (and you can keep your army behind the catapults to kill sword incoming)
  • You can make a lot of pikes (40-50) to create a good shield for your ranged units behind (but send them in formation). Elephants are also a good tank unit
  • If you have just slingers or skirmishers (better skirmishers), just go with them as nearer as possible to the archers (it would be perfect to enter their formation), so the archers will die very fast against your skirmishers, even if you will some some when you are trying to reach them
  • It can be also good to send with your army also 3-4 rams (that can kill 1 archer with a simple shot)
  • Send your hero first then use him to dance while you wait your soldiers coming (this is op against a mass archer)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jofursloft said:

Well, in truth it's not so difficult to counter a mass archer:

•  You can for example send 3-4 catapults to kill them all without lose any unit (and you can keep your army behind the catapults to kill sword incoming)
  • You can make a lot of pikes (40-50) to create a good shield for your ranged units behind (but send them in formation). Elephants are also a good tank unit
  • If you have just slingers or skirmishers (better skirmishers), just go with them as nearer as possible to the archers (it would be perfect to enter their formation), so the archers will die very fast against your skirmishers, even if you will some some when you are trying to reach them
  • It can be also good to send with your army also 3-4 rams (that can kill 1 archer with a simple shot)
  • Send your hero first then use him to dance while you wait your soldiers coming (this is op against a mass archer)

dancing? :D you mean clicking around the field making the hero turn left and right constantly so the arrows miss?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend you turn right and left very fast, cause it takes all your concentration and maybe you fail in it. I prefer to put the hero behind or left/right near the enemy army and move him (while in passive mod, so he runs fast if attacked) around them to annoy more (I hate Feldfeld when he does it with me xd)