3D Artist Application - Ross Harrop

Position: 3D Modeling and Texturing, Able to animate as well.

Do you understand that Wildfire Games is a non-commercial project, work for 0 A.D. is volunteer, and work is done for free? Yes

Do you agree to distribute all your work for Wildfire Games under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike license? Yes

Are you sure you are not wanting to work on something programming related? (Then you don't need to send in an application form.) Yes

Name: Ross

Email: ross.harrop@hotmail.co.uk

Availability: Currently 5-7 Hours. 6 months from now, possibly – 8-12

Skills and Experience: Currently working as a 3D Artist, Studied 3D Animation at University. Proficient in Maya(expert), Zbrush, 3DS Max(average), Photoshop, Substance Painter, Substance Designer. Capable of modeling, texturing, rigging (Maya) and animation (Maya).

Motivation: To continue to learn and improve my skillset, while being part of a unique experience.

Personality: A creative thinker and problem solver, who is open-minded and enjoys life.

Short Essay: Discovered Wildfire Games while browsing game development online. Having playing games like Age of Empires and Stronghold when I was younger, now having a chance to contribute to that genre is very exciting. I also hope to gain experience with working on another project, and other people. Which will help me to build my portfolio.

Interests and Hobbies: Gaming and watching movies are two of my biggest hobbies (shock!). I’m also enjoying a new love of board games recently, like Game of Thrones Risk and Sheriff of Nottingham. I also play some sports which take up most of my weekend in the summer. So when I want to relax, I read a good book. I’m currently hooked on the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.

Staff: I don’t know and staff.

Community: I look at polycount occasionally but browse through 80lv most frequently. I’ve discovered tech-Artists.org which interests me most, as I’m currently learning C++ and have some experience in Python scripting in Maya.

Favorite Game: Currently it’s God of War, I really enjoyed the character development of Kratos. But for nostalgia value, Pokémon Yellow on my Gameboy. I took it everywhere with me.

Work Examples: The video links are from my student work at University, using a pbr workflow. While the images below are from ‘A Tale in the Desert’, which is non-pbr.

https://vimeo.com/231542249

https://vimeo.com/224177755

Example.png

• Like 4

Vegetation would be nice :)

You could start with doing papyrus sprites. We generally use planes to do vegetation. You can find a more complete list of specific trees we need there -> 

(Flora Section)

Else you could try to fix existing trees. 

Have you downloaded the game source yet ?

• Like 1

Are you familiar with either git or SVN verisonning systems ?

Once you have something to show us create a thread in the art forum named ===[TASK]=== Papyrus and post the textures there the 3D file and the collada export file :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ross said:

yes, i use GitHub for work so i know it quite well. 

I'll post a thread in the next day or two, depending on how much time i have :)

You can clone the GitHub repository GitHub.com/0ad/0ad to get the latest development version :)

if you need any help let me know :)