Military units attacking at will (despite passive command)

Darksun

Let me be more specific:

- I march military units to raid the enemy

- after a few successful kills/building kills I retreat to heal

- I command all units to be passive while my healers do their work

- some military units spot enemy civilian/building/military unit and they immediately go running after the enemy

I've had different types of units behave this way. Even siege units. As you can imagine this can cost the lives of the units (they get into 1 vs 5+ fights that are destined to be lost). While I'm busy doing something else, it's tough to micromanage these "rogue" units. Sometimes they will even give away my attack position before I'm ready :/ (while we're on this topic, please add a feature that allows the user to select attack-mode before military units spawn. For example: spawn military units in defensive mode or passive mode).

Does anybody have a suggestion? Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

The same thing happens in other modes. It usually happens in specific situations:

1. after my units complete two commands to destroy a building/kill the enemy, some units start going after villagers that are escaping. I've had siege units chase after villagers! lol

2. my units are stationed close to an offensive enemy building, I've commanded them beforehand to stay passive, yet they attack and give away my position. I re-command to stay passive but they don't listen. I then have to station them out of sight or else they will attack.

For point 1. I have to check but it may be related to attacking units seeking for an other target when the given one is killed. Thus I didn't checked it precisely and it was days ago.

For point 2. I couldn't reproduce. I made a tower in Atlas, moved some spearmen in passive stance nearby and they flee away when they are hit. Do you have a procedure to make it happen most of the time?

• 2 weeks later...

I will test it when I have the time. I want to rule out the possibility of me overlooking some grouped units being in aggressive mode. However if you want to test it out, I know the best conditions to do so.

Try this:

While in phase three, assemble a group of at least twenty military units

Put them in stand ground or passive mode

Order them to stand within line of sight of enemy military buildings/units

Things that might happen:

They don't attack

They attack when enemies engage them...

- Afterwards they stop

- Afterwards they start engaging other enemies/buildings (this is what has happened to me)

I believe that I was mistaken about units ignoring the passive/stand ground command, provided the command was given before the enemy appears. However, through testing I may have discovered an issue. I found that aggressive units ignore passive/stand ground commands that are given after the units have decided to attack their own target. If my wording is confusing, here is an example:

Aggressive unit spots villager

Aggressive unit chases villager

Unit is commanded to be passive

Unit ignores command and continues to chase villager

To work around this, you have to command the unit to walk to a different location, otherwise they will continue to chase their target even though I've pressed the passive/stand ground button.

Edited by Darksun

I think we have enough information to open a ticket and work on a patch. Have you ever opened a ticket? I searched quickly but haven't found one relating stance change.

If it is as you said changing stance doesn't check if the current order was forced (i.e. ordered by the player) or not (automatic order like stance reaction). When ordering stance change the current order should be checked to see if it is still appropriate for the new stance.

• 2 weeks later...