Proto-Germanic Voices

Andrettin

Hello there,

I have recently commissioned from Manuel Senfft Proto-Germanic voices for my RTS game, Wyrmsun. Manuel Senfft has agreed that the voices be released under the CC0 license, and as such they could be used by 0 AD, if you deem them useful for the project. I know that Germanic factions is something only planned for a later expansion to 0 AD, but it doesn't hurt to make you aware of content that may be useful for that expansion.

The Proto-Germanic words were based on the information provided by this Proto-Germanic dictionary.

• Like 4

Thanks for these voices, there's indeed no Germanic faction planned for part 1. So they will not immediately be useful (there's no work started on part 2 yet).

However, they might be usable for a mod meanwhile.

Also, as the time range covered by proto Germanic is rather big, and it has quite some sound shifts during the time, did you focus on any particular timeframe?

• Like 1

Thanks for these voices, there's indeed no Germanic faction planned for part 1. So they will not immediately be useful (there's no work started on part 2 yet).

However, they might be usable for a mod meanwhile.

Also, as the time range covered by proto Germanic is rather big, and it has quite some sound shifts during the time, did you focus on any particular timeframe?

Yeah, it would be nice if a mod made use of those sounds :)

I used the dictionary I mentioned in the opening post; it doesn't exactly say whether it is early or late Proto-Germanic unfortunately. The reconstructions in it are not entirely up-to-date, but it was what I had available and I think it does the job reasonably well.

• 1 month later...

Dear 0 A.D. development team!
At this moment I'm planning to make voice acting for Wyrmsun game by Andrettin, and the author suggested that I contact you also. You may check the details here: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6395
At this moment planned voice acting includes the following phrases (a few variants for each):
* Unit selected
* Unit confirms order
* Unit ready
* Construction completed
* Annoyed by excessive clicking
With the rest (the mood and the specific script) left for me to decide. There will be around 4 distinctive characters in English and a few in Ukrainian&Russian, and maybe one or two German characters.
If you need some additional/special phrases, specific mood for units, script voice-overs, etc. please, feel free to contact me. It's free under CC-BY or GPL licenses (other variants also possible). The amount of voice acting is not limited (however, it extends the time for recording&processing a little), and, of course, this should be something interesting like mission briefing, unit sounds, etc, not just reading 100 pages of in-game encyclopedia.
The examples of my work you may find here:
http://opengameart.org/content/voice-acting-sketch-open-dungeons
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely yours,
Eugene Loza.

• Like 1