Form Up! (Suggestion)

auron2401

Gentlemen,

I Have with me here, a simple suggestion. Instead of units automatically grouping up (ala now) in a formation, or, if it seems appropriate, "No formation" (evri tym), How about we simply have units automatically NOT HAVE FORMATIONS, unless ordered to?

So I have a suggestion, they are 2 buttons. "FORM UP!", and "DISBAND". This will quite UN-complicate the formation system we have now. (from a user point of view). It's also more Understandable.

Currently we have a problem of.. say, like me, you dislike formations in their current state, but do sometimes like to use them. It is quite annoying to have to set NO FORMATION whenever you train a 5x of infantry (or 50x - worse at 50x) set to move towards a metal deposit, or,

TL:DR

I want a Button to make my units form up, and a button to disband them. Potentially also better from a UI standpoint, instead of 50 buttons, you just have 1, thus can lower the bottom bar, for more screen space.

Ancillary Suggestion:

Make it so Formations can Have a little flag above their head which you can click on, to select that formation. This would make having a nice long line of pikes more manageable. (because you know, the more units in one syntagma formation, the less good it is)

Edit: Besides it making more sense from a game-play standpoint, it's more accurate to how formations actually function. If you tell a bunch of people to "go over there", they won't form up, they would just waddle in the general direction you pointed. You would have to form them up, get them in line, THEN MARCH THEM TO "Over there".

Also it irks me.

Edited by auron2401
  • Like 2

Ancillary Suggestion for artists: A captain unit.

Whoever in your formation has the highest rank, (or at random if all are the same rank), gets promoted to "captain" (with.. no gameplay influence? Just for looks?)

Just occurred to me that formations generally have a leader, and leaders generally look shinier. Doesn't need to have any actual gameplay significance, but just so formations look cooler. :D

• Like 1